1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community on the Franchising Forum.

Dismiss Notice

hauling pallets

Discussion in 'Trucks and Trailers' started by mike lane lawn care, Aug 24, 2007.

1. mike lane lawn care

mike lane lawn care LawnSite Bronze Member

ok, so tomorrow, well, in a few hours i will begin a tow-athon, hauling a couple hundred pallets from here to a family owned farm in Connecticut, about 75 mins away. i will be using the 6.5'x 18' utility trailer and my truck. about how many pallets do you think i can fit on the trailer safely? i know i can get 8 in the bed of my truck without a problem. what i'm planning on is about 35-40 pallets per trip, which will means i will have to make about 8 trips, taking an estimated 24 hours of continuous towing. is my estimate too low for how many pallets i should be able to get safely? if i can get a few more per trip then i can make les trips. i've already been up for 20 hours, so another 24 is gonna be a little tough, but i've done it before and tomorrow is the only time i can do it in the next 2 weeks. let me know what you guys think i can get on there per load, i'll be around for another 2 or so hours.

thanks.

oh, please don't question why i'm doing this, cause i am. it's very important to my aunt that the pallets get therre soon for some big project she is working on.

2. tnmtn

tnmtn LawnSite Bronze Member
    from NE Tn.

i think you will get more pallets per trip. if you don't have a tool box you should be able to get 2 stacks in the bed of your long bed truck. i am guessing maybe go about 8 high. 16 just there. maybe 4 stacks in the trailer but you should be able to go higher.
    good luck and post a picture.

3. exmark72

exmark72 LawnSite Member

are we talking empty pallets. if so just load them the best u can and as high as u can and just tie them down really well overdo it if u have to.

4. Guzman Properties

Guzman Properties LawnSite Senior Member

Can you rent/borrow a bigger trailer?

Can you rent a u-haul truck and do it in one trip and save on the gas/wear and tear and time?

5. mike lane lawn care

i thought about the u-haul thing but it wasn't worth it. and i can only get one stack in the truck, cause it's the short bed, that's the downfall of having sporty looks. it's gonna cost an estimated $350 in fuel, and the only local truck rental place would have charged about the same due to the insane amount of miles, PLUS fuel. I would have borrowed a dumptruck from my grandfather's farm, but it requires a CDL. looking at it now, i can see cramming about 60 on there as long as everything is tied down, but it's still gonna be the longest time i've ever spent towing. good thing about heading out at like 2am, is there will be NO traffic on the turnpike.

6. Guzman Properties

Guzman Properties LawnSite Senior Member

Good luck!!!

7. LindblomRJ

LindblomRJ LawnSite Silver Member

6 1/2 foot width 18 foot bed. You may be able to get two rows side by side on the trailer. I am guessing if done right you could get about 100 pallets on the trailer. 2 rows of 4 stacked 12 high is 96. As long as its tied town well not a problem. (been there done that) If done that way would amount to 3trips.

It would be a better idea from a safety stand point that you get some rest.

8. carcrz

carcrz LawnSite Silver Member

Put a stack in the bed & 4 stacks on the trailer. Get them as tall as you can & strap them down good.

9. mike lane lawn care

ok, well i just got back from 4 consecutive trips. i only need to do one more, but i thought i would post with my progress as i stopped home to get some lunch before going at the final run. and damm, i am gonna sleep well tonight.

i was able to get 8 in the bed of the truck, without it being too unstable, and i got 3 stacks on the trailer, it was like 6" too short for a fourth stack, but i go them nice and tall, and secured them with 10,000 lb. ratchet straps.

10. leaflandscape

leaflandscape LawnSite Member

Is it a tandem axle trailer, 'cause you could get as many as you could stack and strap on a heavy enough trailer.