Hauling skidsteer with enclosed trailer

Discussion in 'Trucks and Trailers' started by Eclipse, Sep 22, 2005.

1. Eclipse

Eclipse LawnSite Bronze Member

Maybe this has been discussed before, if that is the case let me apologize before hand, but I am wondering if there is an enclosed trailer manufacturer that make a trailer with a ramp strong enough to drive a skidsteer (5500-6000 lbs) on without any possible damage to the ramp or trailer.

I see guys loading skidsteers on their enclosed trailers but their ramps are all beat up, tweaked, and dented from the weight of the skidsteer on the ramp. Most cannot support the weight but I imagine there is at least one company out there that makes one that can.

Thanks.

2. Green Pastures

Green Pastures LawnSite Silver Member

None that I know of.

3. Dirty Water

Dirty Water LawnSite Fanatic

What is wrong with hauling a skid steer on a flatbed or open trailer? If your machine is clean and good looking, its excellent advertisement.

Or you could be this guy:

[​IMG]

4. Eclipse

I have an open trailer now as well as an enclosed trailer.

Pretty much my only use for the open trailer is hauling the skidsteer. I am also considering gettting a little longer enclosed trailer. If I could combine the two that would be great.

Either this idea or I am contemplating buying a dump trailer for hauling smaller loads and the skidsteer.

5. Shadetree Ltd

Shadetree Ltd LawnSite Senior Member

It is my understanding that custom doors are available that can support extra weight from the manufacturer, I don't know about the full 6000 pounds though. The problem with skidsteers is the short wheelbase puts all the weight on the ramp at once, when loading a car the wieght is distributed by the two axles that are far enough apart to split the weight.

Scott

6. lawnmaniac883

lawnmaniac883 LawnSite Silver Member

Im sure a gate could be fabricated, but you would never be able to lift it.

7. Eclipse

It doesn't looks too promising that I will be able to get a skidsteer hauling enclosed trailer. I might have to make a few calls to the trailer dealers, but I know when I bought my current enclosed trailer the highest rated door I seen at the time was 4500 lbs. I was hoping there was something stronger available now.

Thanks for the info.

8. exmark72

exmark72 LawnSite Member

i show an enclosed trailer one day that had a set of ramps like the ones on a heavy equipment trailer bolted to the outside of the rear ramp. another possibility would be to get an enclosed trailer that has a rear door instead of ramp then get a set of heavy equipment trailer ramps and use them.

9. SouthernYankee

SouthernYankee LawnSite Senior Member

that picture has to be fake....there is no way you could do that!!

10. Woody82986

Woody82986 LawnSite Silver Member
    from DFW, TX

SouthernYankee, I think you are right. I would actually have to see that in person to believe it could be done.