1. Greenman2ooo

Greenman2ooo Banned

I wondered if a one ton dump tuck is large enough to be productive hauling snow. I realize you wouldn't haul snow from large strip malls in something like that, but what about McDonald's size lots?

For those of you who haul snow from smaller lots, what setups do you like? Example: one ton dump and Bobcat model XXX with bucket-- or larger truck with front end loader. Keep in mind I know very little about heavy equipment, so bear with me.

Also, is the only time you haul the snow when it is physically in the way and taking up parking, or how do you determine need????

2. Bud Winsor

Bud Winsor LawnSite Member

We truck snow after every storm to save parking spaces and cut down on freezing and thawing cycles. We've gone to 3 yard loaders and subed out 10 wheelers because our smaller trucks took forever. I wouldn't recommend a one ton unless you're charging by the hour!

3. GeoffDiamond

GeoffDiamond LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Maine

We haul snow, with our tri axels, and 7 Yard dump bodies. During the winter of 96 I tried using 1 tons to haul snow, even with a rack body, it just takes too long. They just don't haul enough.

When we need extra trucks to haul, we call guys that sell fire wood. Most of them have never thought of hauling snow with there trucks, and hauling snow is better than letting it sit.

As far as loading, yea a 3 yard bucket on a loader is the best. However compact loaders and even backhoes with a 1 yard bucket work well.

Geoff

4. plowking35

plowking35 LawnSite Bronze Member
    from S.E. CT

John Allin discovered this a few years back, and we have used this approah as well. Sub the hauling to a refuse company that has roll offs. Usually one truck with 2-3 boxxes will save you alot of money, yet you can still charge for mutiple trucks. While one box is being emptied, the other 1-2 can be filled with the loader.
    Dino

5. SLSNursery

SLSNursery LawnSite Senior Member

For this past storm we used a couple of trucks including one multi-lift with a pretty large body. This time we didn't need to make many loads so I didn't use more than one dumpster, but we were ready to if the need arose. I have a tenant that keeps about 10 dumpster bodies in my yard on rotation. Today I lined him up for the next time we need to haul. He will lay out the bodies, and I can fill them at my convenience.

In some of the tighter lots we do use 1 ton rack dumps. They work well and can easily be loaded with the 1 yard backhoe or a skidsteer. For major hauling - no way rely on the 1 tons, we call in tri-axles.

6. Scag48

Scag48 LawnSite Fanatic

I don't know much about the subject but I do know that if you are gonna haul snow, you are going to need something of hefty size. Our city uses dump trucks (single and some double axle) to haul snow. They have a Deere TC44 toolcarrier with a snowblower on the front that has it's on engine. This thing is huge. They just shoot the snow right into the back of the truck. It works very well because they have the snow in piled up in the middle of a 2 lane road (in town) and just come along and put them into trucks. I don't know the size of the beds, though, but they don't hold alot of snow. They usually have to bring in 4 or 5 trucks per block to get all the snow cleared. I think that the snowblower is the best way to go. Forness (I think) makes them. They are like snowblower experts. The blower will be a heft price I'm sure but I think it will save time in the long run. Bobcat would also work well for smaller trucks. The Erskine improved snowblower for Bobcat would work just the same only smaller. Good Luck!

[Edited by Scag48 on 01-03-2001 at 12:01 AM]

7. GeoffDiamond

GeoffDiamond LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Maine

Here we go again......

Snowblowers work well for loading snow on the side of road. However we are talking about loading snow from parking lots.

It requires a different mode of operation. The piles are taller, the piles are stuffed into corners. You can't drive into a corner pile of a lot and have a truck follow you. You need to use the bucket of the loader to load the truck.

Geoff

8. Skookum

Skookum LawnSite Senior Member

Do you guys have problems getting snow out of dump bodies?

I have never hauled snow, or been part of such a process, but I watched two years ago, as our local city engineers hauled out snow from our downtown areas. I just happen to see the first few loads being dumped, or should I say, trying to be dumped. Beds were up all the way with 1/2 to 3/4 snow still in beds. The next time I seen the dumping process, they had 3 backhoes pulling the snow out of the beds as they tried to dump.

Is this a typical problem, or just par for our local civil servants?

9. plowking35

plowking35 LawnSite Bronze Member
    from S.E. CT

Most trucking co's have heated bodies so that isnt an issue. with the smaller trucks or unheated bosies, as long as the snow doesnt sit in it for a while, and they dont pack it in real tight, it should come right out.
    Dino

10. eskals

eskals LawnSite Member

Alright, can I ask a stupid question?

Where do you guys put all this snow that you are hauling away? And how far do you have to travel to reach the dump area?

Eric