Haunsfeld Air Compressor

Discussion in 'Mechanic and Repair' started by Butch1957, Mar 5, 2006.

1. Butch1957

Butch1957 LawnSite Member

Model WL604001aj
    13 Gallon horizontal Tank
    125 PSI
    Campbell Haunsfeld
    110 Volt
    Oil Free

Unit is around 7yrs. old, on initial start up, unit fills tank then shuts off, once tank needs more air, then the unit makes a funny noise and nothing will happen - NO AIR. Once unit has set for a long period of time, then works fine til air runs out, then problem occurs again.

Any suggestions / Comments ?

2. lawnmaniac883

lawnmaniac883 LawnSite Silver Member

Follow the power supply cord into a black box type thing. Take that cover off and you should see two springs with nuts on top. Try loosening these a little while the unit is on and not filling. If this doesnt work, the contact points from the springs may be worn through.

3. twj721

twj721 LawnSite Senior Member

probably the pressure switch is sticking on ours it is the on & off pressure switch lever you have to tie it up in the on position as it will viberate down just a bit looks like it is still in the on position but it is not making contact am fixin to have to put anohter cylinder kit in this one this is the 3rd one next compressor will be a 2 stage instead of single stage

4. Restrorob

Restrorob LawnSite Fanatic

If it makes a noise when the air drops in the tank instead of kicking on, I would think the pressure switch is working. I would lean to-wards the start-up capacitor on the motor or the compressor getting hot and wanting to lock up. You can pump it up till it shuts down then bleed the air out till it makes that noise, Remove the fan shroud and rotate the fan by hand. If it moves freely then I would say it's the capacitor.
    You can go to the link below and down-load a parts break-down and purchase parts there also. Click on owners manuals on the left and you will see your model.

http://www.chpower.com/

Good Luck

5. barnard

barnard LawnSite Senior Member

sounds like a bad unloader valve to me

6. Butch1957

Like I said, this unit is more than 7yrs. old. Once the tank drains, the motor will hesitate and wanting to come on but it does not. Nothing happens, no air in tank, no motor winding up, simply a little hesitation and then nothing happens.

Any suggestions ?

7. Butch1957

I noticed that the noise comes from within the motor, it wants to turn over but cannot. My problem may be within the motor ? When this hesitation happens, it also trips my breaker. Any suggestions ?

8. Restrorob

Restrorob LawnSite Fanatic

The capacitor is what stores a extra amount of power to kick the motor over to start, Remove the lump looking cover on the side of the motor and take the capacitor out. Take it to a motor repair shop and have it tested, Other wise junk it and buy a new one.