1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

have 16ft trailer but want to use truck??

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by kevin11946ny, May 26, 2007.

1. kevin11946ny

kevin11946ny LawnSite Member

I'm new to the business and this 16 ft trailer is killing my gas mileage plus i never realized how hard it is to manuever. People said how dangerous it is to use ramps for your pick up truck...id like to get ramps for the truck so i dont need to tow a ton trailer evertime i cut a lawn. Im getting used to my wb mower 52" 500lbs....heard how dangerous this could be ,,,,,i dont want to injure myself...lol..loading this up

what do you guys think?
  2. Palmer'sLS

Palmer'sLS LawnSite Senior Member

get a cheap 5x8 or something from the tractor supply...
  3. lazyike

lazyike LawnSite Senior Member

Was at another lco's funeral the other day because he had his wb on the back of a truck, apparently as he was unloading it he slipped and when he fell he pulled the mower off the ramps, it landed on top of him. He was found by his brother a couple of days later ( mowing an old country church cemetery) :(

Always leave your route with a loved one.
  4. Rax

Rax LawnSite Member

I use ramparts to put everything in my F150. Works great.
    Plus, you can use the Ramparts to get your mower up customer's walls if you need too. Ditched my trailer months ago...best thing I've ever done.
    I can park my setup anywhere. Great for mid-urban communities.
    I mulch all properties, so there are no clippings to worry about.
    Just make sure you're using hard wood planks for the Ramparts.
  5. old oak lawn

old oak lawn LawnSite Senior Member

why would you get a 16 foot trailer for a wb mower.get a small trailer and save the 16 ft for when your business grows.I use a 16 ft for 2 60" ztr's and tow it with a f350 crew cab and park it in the street at all acounts.Its tight but you make it work.i would never put a wb mower in the back of a truck.not safe and it looks like you cant afford a trailer.not pro.
  6. SpruceLandscape

SpruceLandscape LawnSite Senior Member
    from ohio

16 footers are common and I can see why you probably bought it... they carry good weight, have lots of room, and can be bought for fairly cheap from other LCO's. However... Going from 18' trailers to 14' open trailers was one of the best moves I ever made, especially when I was first starting, here is why.... most 14' tandem axle trailers will come built and outfitted just like your 16, that is with one brake axle, same 7500lb. weight rating, and similar inside dimensions save for the length. Pluses are that they are (believe it or not) MUCH easier to get around tight corners, turn around at a dead end, and if you are running your business from home, will even fit inside your garage because they will be just shy of 19' overal with the tongue! That means you can store your equipment on your trailer and not have to unload it every night or load it every morning. My 14's enough to get 2 walker mowers, a 21", lawn bags, blowers, trimmers and edgers. Just a suggestion.
  7. tacoma200

tacoma200 LawnSite Fanatic

You should see the places I've had a 48 ft trailer. I'm a country boy but I've been all over Staten Island, Queens, Boston, Chicago, etc with a tractor trailer. I can't imagine a 16' trailer being that difficult. I've actually had to knock on doors to get people to move cars (double parked). Had to sleep twice in NYC on the side of the road, that was fun.
  8. David C.

David C. LawnSite Member

I can load my 52" Z and all equipment on my 16 ft trailer-----and still have room in the back to host a redneck square dance!!!

Haven't been anyplace in two counties where its been impossible to manuver
  9. rodfather

rodfather LawnSite Fanatic

to say the least...nfw would I consider using them unless it was for a 20" push mower.

SDNCLAWNCARE LawnSite Member

Use the trailer... Its not much difference on gas, plus you can carry more equipment. Just more practice. You get more trailer for the money when you use the 16'....