Have 52" ZTR 8mph....what should I get to increase production??

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by thefed, Feb 29, 2008.

1. thefed

thefed LawnSite Senior Member
    from Ohio

We have a 52" ZTR Bobcat....works great. I can cut at max speed if the grass isn't TOO long....so 8mph.

If we land a contract I'm pretty sure of, we're going to need 2 consider it while we choose our next rider...which was coming this spring anyhow

We'd be mowing a good 15 wide open acres with 2 riders....the 52" we have...and another to be purchased soon. The catch is that we have only 3 or 4 more properties where we can mow full-go, and 50+ that are 1/4 acre residentials....so this new rider must work in as many of the smaller lots as possible.

I'm thinking a 60" might be perfect. Anyone know how long it takes to mow an acre with a 52" or 60"? My wild guess based on experience is...well... we can cut 1 acre (creek in middle,5 trees, barn,driveway,house,garage) with the 52" in about 30minutes DRY or 40 minutes normally...so without obstacles....25 mins on a 52 for a decent cut??? 100% speed wouldnt produce a decent cut ....we've gotta make this look pretty good.

2. Happy Frog

Happy Frog LawnSite Bronze Member

Bad Boy Lightning 60"
    With the full suspension, you'll be cutting at 14mph and it is still small enough for small properties.

3. ProStreetCamaro

ProStreetCamaro LawnSite Platinum Member

Gravely 160Z. It is the perfect blend of heavy duty and size for both large and smaller lawns. We are about to pull the trigger on one in the next 2 weeks. It has a very low center of gravity and it is as compact as a 60" ZTR can possibly be.

4. mowerbrad

mowerbrad LawnSite Fanatic

Here are two formulas for calculating acres per hour. You want to use the the 80% efficiency since it allows for turns and overlapping, it will give you a much better idea of the real number of acres per hour you'll be cutting. Hope this helps.

Formulas for calculating acres per hour:
    100% efficiency: MPH x width of cut ÷ 99 = acres per hour
    80% efficiency: MPH x width of cut ÷ 124 = acres per hour