Have a ball field to hydroseed need advice....

Discussion in 'Landscape Architecture and Design' started by Corby Dieu, Sep 16, 2003.

1. Corby Dieu

Corby Dieu LawnSite Member

:) I have been aproached about hydroseeding a new ball field. Problem is today is Sept.16th construction just began and they want to start playing May 1st 2004. Being located just below the Missouri bootheel, I dont start seeding bermuda until April 15th weather permitting. If I was given more spring time I would not be wondering what to do. Any suggestions from experienced hydroseeding contractors would be greatly appreciated. Please dont waste my time with the suggestion of sod I already know that might be the way it goes. Thanks Dieu Custom Services

2. GLAN

GLAN Banned

Just curious...........What about seeding now with a Rye, then spring with the Bermuda?

Also why would the Bermuda not do well if seeded now or early October?

3. Corby Dieu

I have thought about Rye but not sure on a sports field. In my part of the country you can forget about getting a good stand of bermuda in October, first frost arrives in Oct. and without a good root system you are looking at winter kill. I can begin seeding in April but im still not comfortable with playing begining May 1st. One option may be to just seed the outfields and play on dirt infields until they can adjust their playing to allow for seeding of the infields. Maybe seeding the outfields and sodding the infields. I know there is some forum members who have sports field construction experience. All suggestions are welcome!

4. GLAN

GLAN Banned

That field should not be played on for at least a year.

Have a funny feeling that when they do start using it in May and the turf rips right up, you will be responsible for damages.

5. Corby Dieu

Yeah me to!!! These guys I dont think want to spend the money on sod, but I also know they dont want the field to sit idle for a year. Around my area bermuda is the most prevailing turf planted. Can anyone with experience in sports field construction give me any other ideas. Even you guys that I know I have made mad on this site. Hey if I could give someone advice I would.