Have a better day

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by dkeisala, Sep 28, 2004.

1. dkeisala

dkeisala LawnSite Senior Member

So tonight about 9:00pm, because the day just couldn't have been any worse, I get a phone message from a woman that is obviously upset because we didn't come mow her lawn today as we told her we would do. She even kept her dog in the house ALL DAY LONG so it wouldn't get out of the gate when we where there. Bitched us out because "if we weren't able to get there as promised, a phone call would have been nice". I'VE NEVER TALKED TO THIS WOMAN IN MY LIFE AND HAVE NO IDEA WHO SHE IS.

So, I call her back and ask if she really talked to me because I have no recollection of who she is. She recites an entire conversation we never had including that she has used us before (no record of her anywhere in my Quickbooks files), that I said Friday's were really busy for us so how about Monday instead (we don't cut lawns on Monday) and she asked us if it's still $35 per cut (it was, years ago). I told her I think she's got the wrong guy and she said "I WOULD NEVER MAKE A MISTAKE LIKE THAT" and as I was trying to, politely, tell her that yes, perhaps she did, she said "OH FOR CHRISTS SAKES, I'LL NEVER DO BUSINESS WITH YOU AGAIN!!!" and then promptly hung up on me.

You know, it's one thing having somebody that you do business with being pissed off at you but a completely other thing having somebody pissed off at you for making a promise you never made.

The moral to my story...I hope you had a better day than I had and if you didn't, I hope it end sooner than mine did.
  2. txlawnking

txlawnking LawnSite Bronze Member

There are some crazy ones arent there!!!??
  3. AL Inc

AL Inc LawnSite Bronze Member

I've gotten similar calls over the years, I never actually called the person back, though. I have a friend who also owns a landscape company and he will sometimes call me and re-play some of his wacky messages. We defintely have had some good laughs. My conclusion-people are crazy.
  4. Gravely_Man

Gravely_Man LawnSite Silver Member

That is incredible. Getting yelled at for something that you never agreed to. It takes all kinds.

5. cward

cward LawnSite Member

You are just getting to pay it forward. At least you truely didn't diserve this one. I wonder if she will call you back when someone doesn't mow her yard again this week?
    Have a great day.
  6. Runner

Runner LawnSite Fanatic

The thing about is, is that she's ALSO ticked off at the the guy who really DID tell her he would be there,...she doesn't KNOW it yet - and niether does HE. LOL He's going to cut today or so, and you MAY be getting another call from her unless their is contact made between those two. Just wait until she gets a bill from the other LCO...it'll all come together for her, then.
  7. dkeisala

dkeisala LawnSite Senior Member

Now this I didn't think about and makes it that much more entertaining.
  8. QualityLawnCare4u

QualityLawnCare4u LawnSite Gold Member

dk, I had a similar but not as bad call as your today. Had 2 messages on my voice mai from a lady I had never heard of bofore wanting to know/demanded that I cut her shrubs today. I called her back and she starts right in about how she is 89 years old and tried to do it herself but could not, would not take me long but be sure to bring a chain saw.Told her I could not do it or even look at it for weeks, told me you could be doing it while your talking on the phone right now. I then told her Im not interested and hung up while she was still b@thcing, GRRRR where do these people come from :p

9. lawnman_scott

lawnman_scott LawnSite Fanatic

That happened to me. A customer i had given a estimate to years before thought my card was her guy. I went over, and she said you dont look farmiliar. Yes, there is a reason for that i thought.
  10. HOOLIE

HOOLIE LawnSite Gold Member

Yeah, I get strange calls on my home phone. Finally discovered its because there's an LCO whose number is real close to my home phone, people mix the last 2 digits up. So I get lots of nasty messages (guy must be doing a lousy job). They are good for a laugh, I should save some of 'em on tape.