Have a couple questions if anyone can help

Discussion in 'Landscape Architecture and Design' started by mowingmark, Jun 26, 2008.

1. mowingmark

mowingmark LawnSite Member

I have a customer that is having horrible flooding problems because he is the low property on the block. Water is backing up on the walls of his house and causing flooding in the basement. He is hiring a foundation contractor to do water proofing around the exterior. What he wants us to do is create a channel in the backyard to divert the water to back of his property were there is natural drainage. We would have to cut the sod in about a 15x6 area and lower it 2-3 ft. Then resod the grass. After that we need to build the foundation around 1/3 of the house to encourage drainage. This will entail pulling up ground cover and replanting. Also a few other small landscaping cleanup duties. This is the first time running across a problem like this and I'm unsure of the bid. I don't want to bid too low and totally screw myself. Keeping in mind we only have handtools. Would it be worthwhile to rent any equipment? It looks like to get the bid we would have to be in the $1000 range. Would any of you guys touch this job? If you have any questions about the details please ask. Thanks guys, Mark

2. mybowtie

mybowtie LawnSite Senior Member
    from NY

for a grand.....no. Digging out 2-3 feet for 15' is alot of work. What if u hit large rocks?? Do you have to remove the extra soil? Seems like alot of work for a grand..............:usflag:

3. punt66

punt66 LawnSite Fanatic

$1000 is way too low. Removing a few feet of soil is a big job by hand. You would definetly need a machine. If the soil is good you can use it to build around the foundation but you may need more. Without pics its impossible to tell. But it sounds more like a $2000 job. If the job is over your head i would suggest not doing it and staying out of trouble. When your running a machine you need to be carefull of septic, well, irrigation etc. It can also tear up the yard easily. Without experience running them you can do more harm than good. Just my .02 hope it helps

4. mowingmark

mowingmark LawnSite Member

Thanks guys! I was definitely leaning towards passing on this one. I had pics but couldn't figure out how to post them. lol. There is also a large tree stump right next to where I would have to trench which even scares me more. He said he had an estimate for $1200.00 but I'm starting to wonder. I'm just not experienced enough in this to take a chance of causing maybe even a bigger problem. Kill grass, bigger backup, etc. Anymore info would be helpful. He really needs help but I'm pretty sure that I might not be the guy for the job.

5. Mike33

Mike33 LawnSite Bronze Member

Sometimes the best jobs are the ones you dont do. I would let the other guy do the complete job. If they have water issues now they want them fixed and you might get the blame being the last guy in if the other guy dont fix the problem. I will guarantee you if he gets water after repair the other contactor will say some one messed his work up and guess who was there last? Been in that situation before and for 1k :walking:
    Mike

6. robtown

robtown LawnSite Member
    from NJ

Take the pass if you are not familiar with this sort of problem.
    or over bid it and sub out some of the work.
    Instead of a trench you could do a pit to hold the water anrd reuse it or just let it drain.
    you still have the digging problem
    verifing heights problem
    if they are wraping the basement and backfilling the dirt it will settle and you will need to bring in more.
    pics would deffinetly help .
    good luck