1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Have a few questions about mulching!

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by GreenMachine102, May 3, 2004.

1. GreenMachine102

GreenMachine102 LawnSite Member

I want to know do the mulch kits for exmarks work well, and do you have to use mulching blades with them. Or can I just put mulching blades on my mower while side shooting? I have a 20 horse kohler with a 52 inch deck, and I am worried about it getting bogged down with the mulching kit on in tall grass!
  2. exmarkjockey

exmarkjockey LawnSite Member

I run a mulch kit on my 52" with a 27hp Kohler and it can bog down in really thick or wet grass. Sometimes I have to double cut in the spring, but I find that it really helps the lawns when I mulch in the heat of summer. I run the mulching blades on mine and am thinking of trying doubles to see if it makes any difference.
  3. HighGrass

HighGrass LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Z5 MA

I was told by my Exmark guy that unless I was going to always mow when it was perfectly dry, to stay away from the OEM mulching blades. I went all last year with just regular OEM's and kept them real sharp. No big piles of clippings.
  4. joshua

joshua LawnSite Bronze Member

we don't use the mulch decks, but we do use the mulching blades. they mulch the grass better than the high lift and don't throw it as far which is a good and bad thing depending on how much your cutting.
  5. Runner

Runner LawnSite Fanatic

Running mulching blades with side discharge is not a problem. Just make sure that you have a set that has an adequate lift to lift and cut the grass. Many of them don't. As far as this time of year, you are far better off to just side discharge. There are just too many occasions that the grass has alot of growth, or is wet and/or sticky.
  6. exmarkhp

exmarkhp LawnSite Member
    from Maine

I have an 18hp kohler with a 48" deck and I mulch during the summer months ( June - August) and i never have a problem unless it is really wet, which i useally don't mow anyways.
  7. brucec32

brucec32 LawnSite Platinum Member

I have one on my 48" exmark lazer and it works very well. I have one on a Toro 32" that uses an Exmark deck design (actual mulch kit is an Exmark one, fits perfect) and it does a good job, though not quite as good as the bigger deck.

Putting mulching type blades on and discharging may make smaller clippings, but it's not the same as true mulching.

You have decent power, it may bog some in heavy grass. I had 18hp on a 48" deck, which I hear had the same torque numbers as the kohler 20hp, and it bogged some on heavy tall grass.

Mulch kits are good for leaves, doing lawns where you would otherwise HAVE to bag, and doing areas where you can't shoot clippings w/o making a mess. But on tall or wet grass discharge is going to be faster. Results vary based on condtions so much it's hard to give a hard and fast rule. And grass type matters too. Here on St. Augustine and Bahia it makes clippings disappear. It did likewise on moderate growth Tall Fescue, Zoysia, and Bermuda back in Georgia. But mowing too-tall grass gives any mowing setup problems if a manicured look is the desired result.
  8. FreshCuts

FreshCuts LawnSite Member

I run a mulch kit on my 260z gravely and most times it works great but like everyone else said if its tall and or wet I will sometimes have to double cut wich isnt too bad if its a decent size area. I thougt about taking the kit off an going back to discharge until it gets a little warmer and dont know if I will or not just thinking about it right now.