1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Have a lot of grass to cut, need some help!

Discussion in 'Homeowner Assistance Forum' started by grump99, Jan 2, 2007.

1. grump99

grump99 LawnSite Member

I just moved into a new place and have about 6 acres of rolling fields to mow. I am looking for a zero-turn mower that will do the job fast (<2 hrs would be sweet) and last a long time. I will probably be dealing with occasional wet grass and some moderate hills. The fields are somewhat bumpy, but not too bad. I am not looking for a perfectly groomed lawn, just a fast, decent cut.

I have been to all the local dealers and have done a lot of research on my own. I have narrowed my search down to the Hustler Super-Z, Ex-mark lazer z and John deere 737/757. I am pretty open minded as to brand, but am leaning towards Hustler (seem to be faster than the others).

I need some advice on brand, as well as deck/motor size. The largest deck size that will fit in our shed is 66". Which motor brand/size would be the best for my application? I have heard good things about Kohler and Kawasaki. I don't plan on using any attachments or baggers. Am I better off with a 60" or 66" inch deck?

Any advice is greatly appreciated! :)

WALKER LANDSCAPE LawnSite Bronze Member

:rolleyes: Here we go with my .02 worth I have TOROS I hear good things about the Exmark and Hustler I can stongly agree with Kawasaki motor thou.
    If I were to choose I would go With Exmark. Good Luck with your purchase.:waving:
  3. nmez21

nmez21 LawnSite Senior Member

I used to have a John Deere 727. I've got a Hustler Super Z 60" w/ a kaw. engine now. A 6.5-7 acre property(half-dozen trees and a 1 acre pond to mow around) took me anywhere from 3-3.5 hours with the Deere. Now with the Super Z I can get it done in 2-2.5 hours. I would suggest the Super Z to you, although I've never used an Exmark myself. For a smoother ride the susp. seat is very nice and you have an option to add flex-forks (~$200). I suppose that you could get it done 10-20 minutes faster w/ a 66", since you've got the room too. The deck has cut marvelously for me even at top speed, like you wouldn't believe.

As far as motor size goes, I don't really know what to tell you if you're looking at a 66". The 25 kawi. suits me fine on a 60", but I know there are others that feel like it lacks a little power. Good luck with whatever purchase you make.
  4. grump99

grump99 LawnSite Member

Thanks guys!
  5. Uranus

Uranus LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Mass

You know your goning to need about 9 grand for a 60" with a decent size engine one it. Not to knock your dealers but you may want to check out ebay. There's a guy from Street, MD that sell decent looking used mowers. I've bid on a few.
  6. carcrz

carcrz LawnSite Silver Member

You may want to make sure it has a good suspension on whatever you get. Mainly because it sounds like it is a large lawn/field & is probably a little bumpy. As far as deck size, you are only talking about 6" difference there so it won't make nearly as much of a difference as a larger/more powerful motor will. Out of your options you were thinking about above, I would probably go w/ the Hustler.

HOOLIE LawnSite Gold Member

I would request a demo for the mowers you are considering...it is a large purchase and you should certainly test drive a mower before buying. Keep in mind you are only mowing one lawn a week (albeit a big one :laugh: ) things like engine brands and such are not a big deal when you're just mowing your own lawn once a week. Get what you like. Personally I've always gone with Kawasaki but at the same time I'm not knocking Kohler.

I'd go with the 66" deck...the extra half-foot will add up over 6 acres, performance/handling-wise wouldn't be much of a difference.
  8. Potchkins

Potchkins LawnSite Senior Member

do you have many trees, flower beds, or
    other obstackels to get between or around
  9. grump99

grump99 LawnSite Member

No obstacles or trees, just lots of grass.
  10. dfischer

dfischer LawnSite Member
    from Il

I use a 757 and mulch. It does fine, but it's on the ragged edge power wise. If you're gonna side discharge then it's more then enough.

I'm @ 60" and I promise width makes a HUGE difference. But they can scalp more easily. Cresting a slope w/this will create low spots.

Truly, I'd be looking for a 30 hp diesel w/as close to 66" as I could find from a dealer I trusted. I prefer deere, but it's not like any of the upper crust is bad. I'd be more inclined to look for the right deal on what you liked, rode well, and had a good dealer.