Have any customers say "see ya next year"

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by lawnwizards, Sep 6, 2005.

1. lawnwizards

lawnwizards LawnSite Silver Member

Has any of your customers say they don't need your services again until next year? Had this lady leave a note with her check thanking us for an excellent job and how she'd love us back next year and that her grass has quit growing and she doesn't need us anymore this year. either shes on crack or she has someone else. Anyone else with a similar situation? :waving:

2. Green-Pro

Green-Pro LawnSite Bronze Member

nope, you think gas prices have anything to do with this?

3. stumper1620

stumper1620 LawnSite Bronze Member

I have several that are busy planning my year next year, I love it when they tell me what they want me to fit into the schedule for next year.

4. stumper1620

stumper1620 LawnSite Bronze Member

I have several that are busy planning my year next year, I love it when they tell me what they want me to fit into the schedule for next year. payup

5. lawnwizards

lawnwizards LawnSite Silver Member

could be, or maybe the fact that shes a school teacher..... i think i'll pick both the gas and being a teacher....

6. topsites

topsites LawnSite Fanatic

No but I had someone short me 4 dollars on a cash payment today and in both these cases it sounds like a see 'ya - see 'ya BUT...

I DO get a funny from time to time just doesn't know the next thing about grass, you might wanna give it a break and see if she doesn't call you in a few weeks, hehehe... But if she doesn't, there's a couple things I *might* do:
    - Drive past the yard IF it's on the way to something, preferrably in a vehicle they don't recognize, JUST to see what's going on, sometimes the curiosity kills me. Even if I don't SEE another Lco, I can tell the difference between cut and uncut grass, so to speak. But the price of fuel is a definite curiosity killer.
    - IF she does call next year, before I return the call I WILL drive by the yard and get a visual as chances are fair it got REAL tall and someone's trying to get a little something for nothing... If the grass is REAL tall at that time, I don't return the call (no because it doesn't do any good, I've been down this road one too many times).

7. Green-Pro

Green-Pro LawnSite Bronze Member

Well my wife used to teach full time just subs nowbut that is one job that pays like crap for the training and hoops your expected to go through, even worse when times get tough (gas prices, inflation in general) tough to blame someone in that position.

Good Luck with rest of customers

-Geoff

8. GrassBustersLawn

GrassBustersLawn LawnSite Senior Member

I haven't had any tell me that yet...but it seems like there is always someone JUMPING THE GUN on the end of the mowing season. They'll let it go without mowing all OCT & NOV and not call until the beginning of MAY and expect you to run right out and mow it for the "usual" amount. That's when I tell them to "pucker up".

Mike

9. kalyeah

kalyeah LawnSite Member

Had one last year about this time tell me the same thing. No one this year yet. It's way too early to stop cutting.

10. cantoo

cantoo LawnSite Silver Member

When they call you in the spring say that due to the large number of people cancelling service last fall you have had to scale back your operation and you are very selective about taking on new clients. Sorry but you don't have room at this time for part time lawns.