Have any embarrassing moments from this year?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Envision, Nov 5, 2004.

1. Envision

Envision LawnSite Member

Only had one this year, and it was a good one. Check out the picture below. I was trying to turn the Stander around on the trailer and the gate came off the trailer, all in front of a clients house. To top it off, the lady came out and asked if I needed some help! Eventually maneuvered it off the trailer and got the gate put back on....

DSC00049.JPG

2. Smithers

Smithers LawnSite Silver Member

You should have said, "Yeah, can you lift the side so that i can pull the truck forward?"

3. jbell113

jbell113 LawnSite Senior Member

I never thought a gate would fall off like that....... Funny thing that happened to me was I have a snapper 28" rider and I pulled it off the trailer to use for the backyard (cuz of the 36" gate) and parked it. I cut the front with the 52" and then went to use the snapper. I had it in 6th gear and it is a rear engine rider pull start. When I pulled the cord it took off like a bat out of he!! and went right down the middle of the road with me chasing it and right in front of clients house. Thank god no one saw it.

4. wiselawns

wiselawns LawnSite Member

A few weeks ago I was trimming around a customers sprinkler shut-off valve and caught the pvc pipe with the trimmer string and ripped open a big chunk of plastic. Water was shooting everywhere like a fire hydrant. Instant front yard pond.

5. Lawn-Scapes

Lawn-Scapes LawnSite Silver Member

Nothing too embarassing other than getting a mower stuck some place where I needed to yank it out with my truck.

You can have someone cut one of those hinges off and reverse it so that doesn't happen again. That's what I did. Mine would always want to slide over when I was taking my mowers off and on the trailer but never came off like yours. One time I was cutting a lawn (the gate was down) and a mail truck clipped the edge of the gate taking it off the hinges.. that's when I decided to got to the welder.

6. TURF BUDDY

TURF BUDDY LawnSite Member

I gave a lady a drive by estimate baseD on a phone conversation. got the job, went and mowed it. The owner wasnt home. It was the first mowing of the season. the grass was high, We found snakes everwhere the dog tried to bite me. I went to the nice ladys job to collect $$ guess what? she informs me that I did a really great job on her Neighbor's Yard Now I make sure I double check the address. O yea my work crew really got a laugh out of it, and the Police officers yard that I mowed was appreciative for the free mowing. LIVE AND LEARN

7. Sam-Ohio

Sam-Ohio LawnSite Senior Member
    from Ohio

This happened to a friend of mine that has a tree trimming business.

He went to the customers house to see a tree for removal, and to give an estimate. They agreed on the price and he marked the tree that was to be removed with bright yellow plastic tie on tape. This was late afternoon, and he told the customer that the crew would be out the next day and the work would be done before he and she got home from their jobs next day.

He sent his foreman and a crew out the next morning to the address. They found the marked tree in the back yard, took it down, ran the limbs through the chipper, and ground out the stump, tilled up and raked the soil, threw down some grass seed and straw, and booked on out of there.

The foreman was ragging on him that afternoon about how bad he had underestimated the size of the job, but it was the angry phone call from the customer at 5:30 pm - screeming about his missing "favorite" white oak tree that really got his attention.

The only thing he can figure happened was a smart a$$ kid with a twisted sense of humor moved the tape to this other tree. They never did pin down who did it.

The tree he had to buy and transplant in there to fix this mess cost him $6000 - for tree, labor and all - and he is in this business, so that's wholesale. No, his insurance does not cover practical jokes - it just came out of his hide.

8. work_it

work_it LawnSite Senior Member

Just had one the other day. I usually unhook my trailer and leave it at the bottom of this steep hill before going up a long drive into this landscape maintenance job I have. Not an option since there's no place to turn around once you enter their driveway. There's a service road at the bottom of the hill on the edge of their property where I always leave it, but on this fine occasion there was 2 large trucks parked and blocking the entrance. In an attempt to go around them and turn the truck around I got stuck in a huge mud bog. Ended up unloading the trailer then unhooking it just to get the truck out. Once the truck was out the trailer was still stuck. Hooked the safety chains to the front of the TT and pushed it out. What really sucked was they moved the trucks 10 minutes after I got stuck, and worse yet, my customer drove up a couple minutes after that. ;)

This is a pic of the muddy scag still hooked up to the muddy trailer where I normally park. :angry:

000_0004_0001.JPG

9. TURF BUDDY

TURF BUDDY LawnSite Member

That is some tree story, Sam, ouch. I have mowed all summer without getting stuck. well guess what today was the day. I buried that 60 in Exmark, had to get pulled out during breakfast rush-hour in front of the Sonic. Hey even experts started out as amateurs.