1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Have any helpful advice

Discussion in 'Hardscaping' started by DoubleB, Feb 20, 2007.

1. DoubleB

DoubleB LawnSite Member
    from So.Dak.

I am considering down the road, not too far through, of starting my own landscaping business. I dont plan on breaking the bank right away, I realize that I am going to have to work my tail off to even make it anywhere in this business. But I was hoping for those of you who are just starting out, and also those of you who have made it for yourselves, if you have any advice for a young guy tying to start his own landscaping business. I dont plan on imediatley going and taking out a business loan to get the ball rolling. Maybe just purchase a few things here and there and do some side jobs to build my business. Problems/Concerns that you may have ran into or with my plan. Anything you wish you would have done different? Let me know, I am open to any advice/critism you may have for me. Thanks alot guy.
  2. leaflandscape

leaflandscape LawnSite Member

You'll probably start off doing a lot of not so glamourous work, but stick with it and the good stuff will come around. And only landscape if you really enjoy it because not many guys get rich doing it.
  3. tthomass

tthomass LawnSite Gold Member
    from N. VA

FIRST.......what do you want to do? Hardscape? Landscape? Mow?

2nd..........invest in a GOOD TRUCK, spend the money and get a good truck, this should not even be debatable

3rd..........buy shovels, rakes, maddocks etc

4th..........power tools......saws

5th..........dump trailer (if you can, with the truck)

Getting a good start.........$20,000 minimum but you can use your truck as a personal truck not so much as "equip"

* my recomendations are towards the construction end of things
  4. tthomass

from N. VA

Most important, network. As much as you may possibly hate it........go to suppliers and do your damnedist to introduce yourself and get to know them.
  5. mrusk

mrusk LawnSite Gold Member

Starting people won't know your in business unless you advertise.

One of the top reasons why people don't make it in business, is ebcause they don't have enough work.
  6. leaflandscape

leaflandscape LawnSite Member

tthomass is completely right, we get about 50% of our new work from suppliers, and it's usually people who know what they want and will spend as much as they need to get it.
  7. tthomass

from N. VA

prob at least 80% of my work was from referrals this past season.........only advertising I did was on a free local www and from getting to know the neighbors while on a job and selling things to them also

mrusk is right too