1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Have any of you done this

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Classic Lawn, Mar 23, 2005.

1. Classic Lawn

Classic Lawn LawnSite Senior Member

I want to pick up some more commercial accounts this year. i was thinking going around to local businesses to see if they are accepting bids for this year. I was just wondering if anybody has done this before. thanks
  2. promower

promower LawnSite Bronze Member

Thats how I get most of my commercial leads, cold calling and stopping in to see if they are accepting bids. If they say they already signed ask when they accept bids log it in your computer and hit them up next year.

TURF DOCTOR LawnSite Silver Member

Yes that is what we do- you had better move time is running out
  4. EGL&L

EGL&L LawnSite Member

That's the only way to "get er done". Don't just call, you have to stop in and ask if they are taking proposals. Let them put a face with the business, and try to tell them as much about yourself or your company as you can.
    I have picked up all but one of my commercial accounts this way, the other one contacted me and asked me to bid.
    I also give them a brief synopsis of my company and myself, and a list of references with their proposal. I just picked up an Apartment complex on Tuesday, because of my references.
    If you are considering this for this season, you may be too late. I have found that, in my area, most businesses make that decision in Feb or early March.
    Good luck,
  5. tiedeman

tiedeman LawnSite Fanatic
    from earth

when I first started out I went door to door to businesses. I actually picked up a couple accounts doing it
  6. Classic Lawn

Classic Lawn LawnSite Senior Member

thanks i went into a local business today i know the owners Farly well they said they have a guy doing it already but they would like me to do their plowing an salting next year. well i guess i better get moving so i can get a new truck, plow and salt box thats the 4th one already that said that. payup payup

PMLAWN LawnSite Gold Member

Good plan just a little late. BUT keep at it and send some type of correspondence every few months throughout the year. Be second in line this year and first next.