Have any of you ever tried this?

Discussion in 'General Industry Discussions' started by Dunn's, Jan 8, 2007.

1. Dunn's

Dunn's LawnSite Bronze Member

So our question is has any one ever tried filling in a small back yard area with mulch. Due to the fact that the dogs are destroying all of the grass. Or is there a type of grass that holds up against dogs extremely well. We also where thinking about filling it in with sand but then we would probably have alot of sand tracked around the house. I know mulch would track as well but it would have to be better than all the mud. also with the sand I would think it would be easier to clean up the dof piles. So any insight anyone has to the mulch or sand, or a better grass. just let us know. Oh yeah the current or used to be there grass was zoysia.

2. bcg

bcg LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Tx

Concrete..

3. WALKER LANDSCAPE

WALKER LANDSCAPE LawnSite Bronze Member

Yeah concrete then you could just Power Wash everything off once a week. Plus wash the dogs too. Economical way would be mulch I guess the sand might be bad for the dogs paws after awhile too.

4. bcg

bcg LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Tx

Sand and mulch will BREED fleas, and I don't just mean a little bit.

5. Olylawnboy

Olylawnboy LawnSite Senior Member
    from Oly Wa

Been there Dunn that :) Just had to :) You said it's a small yard and the dogs, plural, are at least killing off the grass. Are they digging too?
    You just have too much dog per sq. ft. and nothing will ever work but a concrete kennel, if you could call that working, and it would suck to be them.

6. Dunn's

Yeah we already have a 20x20 pad of concrete in this area, and where still wanting to keep some of the area soft to give their pads a break. Also I didn't think of the flea part of it. We do give our dogs frontline once a month though so they shouldn't get them. Maybe I will call our vet and see if there are any flea reppelents you can put down that aren't harmful to dogs.Thanks for all the replies so far. Any other ideas or oppinions appreciated.

7. Dunn's

We have a bigger yard but unfortunately they kept jumping the fence so I put up a wood privacy fence on about half the yard it is a 50x30 area so the back part of the yard is still fine. I just wish we didn't have this big mud moat from them.

8. The Rookie

The Rookie LawnSite Senior Member

Incorporate some flagstone around the perimeter of the fence and other high traffic areas. Should help the grass from being rooted up in these areas. If you countersink the flagstone you should be able to keep mowing your zoysia low without hitting them. I think this remedy would be the most cost effective and least flea attractive solution.

9. lawnpro724

lawnpro724 LawnSite Silver Member

Concrete will work best. I have a customer with the same problem years ago and suggested he put down concrete something I dont do. He did and the problem was solved.

10. Dunn's

Thanks rookie I will think about that idea, because we have a pile 3 feet high by 10-12 feet diameter of flagstone laying right outside the privacy fence. Thank you as well Lawnpro but we have enough concrete back there already.