have any of you guys ran the grass packer system ?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Big Red Ferris, Jun 2, 2008.

1. Big Red Ferris

Big Red Ferris LawnSite Member

ive been lookin at a catcher made by grass packer just wanted too know how well it works b4 i buy one...i have 2 ferris's with 48s... thanks keith :usflag:

2. SILVERSTREAK INC

SILVERSTREAK INC LawnSite Senior Member

theyre decent, lightweight which i like about them, and also wont turf a hill like a steel edge basket will

downsides are they are essentially a trash can with holes cut in them, so they wear away eventually, normally we will get 2 years of everyday use out of them before they wear out on the bottom, other thing is the guys always loose the s-hooks (they close with s-hooks on a rubber strap) so lots of times we're stuck holding them closed with bungee cords but theyre a decent deal for a decent product, ive used both steel baskets and the grass packer, id pick a grasspacker before a heavy steel basket

3. Lbilawncare

Lbilawncare LawnSite Bronze Member

If you are going to be bagging a lot and need durability then buy an Accelerator catcher (relatively lightweight) If not then the grasspacker will serve you well.

4. Richard Martin

Richard Martin LawnSite Fanatic

I've had my GrassPacker for about 5 years now. Works great and if setup properly, it will last forever. I'm still using the first and only one I bought and I haven't lost the S hook.

5. SILVERSTREAK INC

SILVERSTREAK INC LawnSite Senior Member

i do lots of commercials, so we use the 48 and the bagger on all the parking lot islands to keep down on the cleanup, so even though i have mine set up properly, we constantly face curbs and islands where the grade of the soil has settled below he curb edge which leads to them wearing away quick. i can imagine doing resi lawns a grass packer WOULD last forever!

6. Richard Martin

Richard Martin LawnSite Fanatic

I knew there had to be a reason you were wearing them out. I was thinking about doing a video to show how tough the Grass Packer is. Something like me riding down the road at 55 MPH and throwing it out onto the street should do it.

7. tinbndr

tinbndr LawnSite Member

Any idea what they cost?

8. Grits

Grits LawnSite Silver Member
    from Florida

That would be both educational and hilarious. I vote yes, make the video!!!

9. LTONFIREMEDIC

LTONFIREMEDIC LawnSite Member
    from 28358

just bought one little less than 300 smackers. will see how it works. was kinda unsure with hanging that accelerator off the end of my deere