Have any of you tried this?

Discussion in 'General Industry Discussions' started by Albery's Lawn & Tractor, Mar 17, 2007.

1. Albery's Lawn & Tractor

Albery's Lawn & Tractor LawnSite Bronze Member

Like most of you I'm trying to think of some creative advertising that will give me the best results. I decided to have some signs made (the ones that you see all over town about 18" x 18" with metal that stick in the ground) I had 10 made that say: "Albery's Lawn Care, One month free with Yearly Contract" and 5 that say: "This yard is maintained by Albery's Lawn Care". First off dont bash about the month free, I crunched my numbers and can easily afford it. But my question is have any of you tried these type of signs before? I was going to put them at the entrance of some major subdivisions, what you guys think?

2. fiveoboy01

fiveoboy01 LawnSite Silver Member

I see a lot of those types of signs around town here. None yet from an LCO. Usually they only last there a few days/a week before someone who doesn't like it there rips it up and gets rid of it.

But it's something I've considered too.

3. lawnpro724

lawnpro724 LawnSite Silver Member

Don't waste your money there are better forms of advertising out there. Fiveboy is right someone will take them and throw them away or pull them out and lay them down.

4. dcondon

dcondon LawnSite Silver Member

I have seen plenty that have landscaping/Mowing Service but that's it. Plus I bet money that I will NEVER see one that says one free month of service on it!!!!!!

5. Albery's Lawn & Tractor

The guy that is doing them gor me is only charging $10 and its lettered on both sides, elsewhere is $18 just for one side. I'm just hoping they last a week, and the free month is just away to get them to call then its up to me to sell them.

Lawn Pro: What ways do you recommend? Ads in paper here are outragous plus theres already 15 different lco (most I've never even heard of), flyers just haven't given me the return I've hoped for.

6. 1MajorTom

1MajorTom Senior Moderator

Yes we have tried it. bought 50 signs 3 or 4 years ago. two sided white signs with green lettering on them. worked out to be that we paid $4.40 a sign that was including shipping. just counted the signs last week to see how many we had left, we have 27 left. so ya, some do get stolen, but some don't either. we usually leave them up for about 4 weeks, then take them down, the ones that haven't been removed.
    we have placed them in customer yards, and also at certain strategic places, usually at a "y" or "t" in a road where the car has to stop, and the sign becomes very visible.
    just remember this, it only takes ONE sign to get some business, and yes we have gotten calls off of them. our first year, we got $14,000 worth of business off of it from one customer who wanted a retaining wall, landscaping, etc done. last year, we picked up 4 lawn customers from the signs.
    This past week we put up 11 signs, so far one has been stolen.
    it's all trial and error, what may work for someone on here, may not work in your area. but for the price of the signs, i'd say it's worth a shot.

7. Lynden-Jeff

Lynden-Jeff LawnSite Bronze Member

I put signs up on poles but not customers yards. They run me about 11 bucks a sign and I put them up high enough that I lose very few.

Cheers
    Jeff

8. bobw

bobw LawnSite Senior Member

so.. you can afford to give new customers a free month? What will you do for your existing customers? If I am one of your existing customers (i.e. I've supported you for years), I expect that you will treat me better than someone you've never gotten money from... so.. where's my free month?

9. Albery's Lawn & Tractor

Sign a contract and I'll give you a free month as well. Sorry I thought that was common sense.

10. bobw

bobw LawnSite Senior Member

Guess I assumed you had your current customers under a contract....