1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Have any of you used 50 Fuel?

Discussion in 'General Industry Discussions' started by margoatl, Jul 17, 2008.

1. margoatl

margoatl LawnSite Member

Hi all. I'm new to the site. I was wondering if any of you have experience using a product called 50 fuel? Its a premix of gas, synthetic oil, and stabilizer for 2 cycle engines. Just want to make sure no one has had any problems with this product.

THanks for your feedback!:)
  2. Lawn-Sharks

Lawn-Sharks LawnSite Senior Member

Ya i used some of that a little while ago, it worked good but wasnt cost effective!
  3. margoatl

margoatl LawnSite Member

Thanks for the response. If I buy a pallet, it seems to be cost effective due to the cost of fuel unless my calculations are wrong. Also I don't have to worry about the crews getting the mix right. My hopes is that this will help reduce maintenance costs on the equipment. Any thoughts?
  4. Lawn-Sharks

Im sure it will lower maintenence cost to an extent on your equipment as long as your employees treat them with respect. Also i buy synthetic 2cyl oil and add it to all the fuel i carry, even for the mower just so that know one make the mistake of not using the wrong fuel + it is a good top end lubricator for the mowers.
  5. fixer67

fixer67 LawnSite Silver Member

I just checked the web site. They show a 6 pack sells for $22.50. That is 6 X 32 oz. That comes to $22.50 for 1½ gallons. Too much for me.
  6. Lawn-Sharks

That why i was saying i didnt think it was cost effective.
  7. margoatl

margoatl LawnSite Member

OK. I'm going to try and explain my calculation. When you buy a pallet of 50 fuel the cost is $10.50 per case. You get 132 cases or approx. 204 gallons per pallet. If I look at my cost for fuel($4.05 per gallon) plus 2 cycle oil I get a figure of $13.33 per 2.5 gallons. For 50 fuel that figure is $17.50 per 2.5 gallons. I guess my thought is that the cost savings would come with less maintenance on the equipment. I don't know....
  8. punt66

punt66 LawnSite Fanatic

What maintatence on handhelds are hurting you to the point of spending so much more on fuel? Are you going through carbs because the stuff isnt run often enough? Other than no use/dirty carbs, thhere isnt much to do or worry about. The occasional plug? Scrape the arrestor? Defenetly not worth the extra expense.
  9. Glosjttx

Glosjttx LawnSite Member

In the last five years, i have seen thousands of customers with thousands of machines. old fuel used to be a persistent PITA for lots of do it yourself homeowners. now it is an absolute nightmare. an average temperature of 90 in the summertime combined with the 10% Ethanol in all pump gas in my town has lead to a massive increase in the number of carburetor overhauls and replacements.

I used to attribute this primarily to Defective Operator Syndrome, caused by acute lack of exposure to operator's manual and characterized by inactive common sense receptors in the brain. But now I am not so sure. mixed gas goes bad fast! only a couple of years ago fuel would last a few months (in ideal conditions) fuel stabilizer in a 2-stroke is like false hope in a bottle. if it takes you 3 months to use a gallon of gas, i would recommend electric ;)

If this 50 fuel is even remotely capable of living up to the promises made by the manufacturer, it will be a thing to recon with, and is not to be taken lightly. I do, however, have a problem with the testimonials on the website that claim renewed power. there is nothing you can put in the gas tank to heal a stiff diaphragm in a carburetor.
    Neither Walbro, Zama, nor Tillotson recommend ANY amount of alcohol in gasoline, and specifically state that the materials used in 2 cycle carburetors are not designed to be used with alcohol. these three companies represent 99 percent of carburetors that are installed on ALL OEM's equipment.

so to break it down this way, if you use pump gas you are mixing 128 oz of gasoline. this contains (if you use 10% Ethanol), 12.8 oz of Ethanol. used with only 2.6 oz of 2-cycle oil! (50:1)

from personal experience, rubber does NOT like alcohol. it degrades the fuel lines, diaphragms, and the non-replaceable check valves.

so that's my two cents.
    i hope you learned something..