Have bed edger will travel

Discussion in 'Landscape Architecture and Design' started by Tractor Man, Oct 13, 2004.

1. Tractor Man

Tractor Man LawnSite Member

I purchased a Brown's Bed Edger around the first of the season. I was thinking about getting into the curbing business but decided to stay with my lawn business instead. It came with the bed edger rotor and I have purchased the curbing rotor ( great for diging out a trench for lay block) and a couple of more rotors. I have used it on a couple of jobs building small retaining walls and re edging some flower beds. A great time saver and machine. I have picked up some jobs from the jobs that I have used it on and word of mouth. How do you guys advertise this type of work and what do you charge per. ft. I was thinking of selling it but it just comes in to handy when I need it. I need it to start making me more money so that I can justify keeping it. :help:
  2. Stuttering Stan

Stuttering Stan LawnSite Bronze Member

Sounds like you need to advertise"flowerbed curbing". It's big in this area. As far as price, I believe ive seen about 0.30 per foot for trenching. Don't quote me on that

TOTALLAWN OF KY LawnSite Member

whats the price on that machine you bought ??? how did u like it ?? any troubles??
  4. KenH

KenH LawnSite Bronze Member
    from CT

My biggest beef with my bed edger is hitting sprinkler lines and electric dog fences........some of these things are installed so shallow.........
  5. Tractor Man

I got this from Campbell's Hardware which sells all types of lawn equipment and services them too. I think the retail price was $2400.00 and I got it for $1750.00. It came with the bed edger roto which I have used the most. It does great in cutting in new flower beds. It's a back saver. I also bought a curbing rotor which is great in digging a trench from 1/2" to 3" deep X 8" wide. This is for building a small retaining wall for flower beds using the Windsor block, this machine is great. Saves time and back ach.
  6. GreenMonster

GreenMonster LawnSite Silver Member
    from NH

which motor?

5.5 or 8hp? (I think those are the options...)
  7. Tractor Man

I got the 8 hp Honda engine. Runs great. It will go thru anything, tree roots, rocks, sprinkler lines and wires. You've got to really look good before you start so that you want break anything you have to replace. I've got a job coming up that the owners told me about the invisible fence line already. Something you get accustom to asking. Like ask before you dig!
  8. billyebrown

billyebrown LawnSite Member

That sounds like a good price. Does Campbell's have a website?

I keep thinking one of these would be a great add-on for someone like me just mowing part-time. Along the same lines of aerating and over-seeding. Especially since I can't find one to rent anywhere around here. Not sure if any of the local mowing/landscape outfits offer.