1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Have domain, need host and site

Discussion in 'Digital Marketing' started by tpirobert, Jan 11, 2002.

1. tpirobert

tpirobert LawnSite Member

I've got a domain name registered. Now I need to build a site and pick a host. Recomendations on programs to build my website and possible hosts. I'm stupid enough to try this with some help from the more experienced. Any thoughts. Thanks
  2. Fantasy Lawns

Fantasy Lawns LawnSite Bronze Member

3. cos

cos LawnSite Addict

4. Strider

Strider LawnSite Member

5. tpirobert

tpirobert LawnSite Member

Hey guys, thanks for all the info and links. I just signed up for an adult-ed welding class. Probably should have signed up for website development or Frontpage 101.
  6. Nebraska

Nebraska LawnSite Senior Member

I am "building" a web page now....

A neighbor who does it full time told me to check poweredby.com...

Anybody used this?

$35 for the year! Is there a catch?
  7. LoneStarLawn

LoneStarLawn LawnSite Bronze Member

It's $39 a year and you have to place a small logo on your homepage.
  8. Nebraska

ok, $39 a year with a small logo that can be placed anywhere on the page...

Is it such a bad deal? Is their something that you don't get from other hosting sources?

Is there a catch?
  9. Strider

Strider LawnSite Member

I would be cautious, the old addage of "if it is too good to be true, it probably is" is more often than not, pretty accurate on the web. To start with, even if they have great contracts setup with someone for their transit, they would lose money if people even used half of what was allocated to them. They offer 6.5 Gigs of data transfer a month with their account. I doubt they are getting their lines any cheaper than $1.00 per Gig so after the first 6 months, if you use everything they allocate to you, they would start to lose money. And transit is only one expense to host your account. I am sure they are betting that most customers will not use the alloted bandwidth but if I was looking for a home for my business site, I wouldn't want to take the chance.

Just my opinion though.
  10. Nebraska

Thanks for the input.

What are some other hosting services not mentioned in this thread that are being used by Lawn and Landscape Co's?