1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community on the Franchising Forum.

Dismiss Notice

Have I been using the wrong kind of fuel for my weedwacker and blower?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by pattytastik, May 27, 2011.

1. pattytastik

pattytastik LawnSite Senior Member

I just read somewhere something that makes me wonder if over the years I have been using the wrong gas mixture. What I use now is 87 octane mixed with powerblend oil (made by echo) for my echo srm weedwacker and my pb-500 blower and echo hedger. Should it be 89 octane instead of 87?

Thanks
    Posted via Mobile Device

2. Birdhunter1

Birdhunter1 LawnSite Senior Member

6 years ago i got into internet forums and read I should be using high octane fuels in my 2 stroke Stihl equipment, I guess my Stihl equipment didn't get the memo either because it has always run well.

I am still using 87 octane, my dad is still using 87 octane on his Echo and Stihl stuff. I use the Stihl 2 stroke oil, he uses the Echo, we each uses each others fuel cans when the are handier to us (Shhh don't tell anyone).

3. pattytastik

Great! I was nervous that I was slowly deteriorating my equipment. I'm glad that what I am using is acceptable.

4. Charles

Charles Moderator Staff Member

89 octane is what the manufacturers recommend. Never use 87 in lawn equipment.

5. Km81

Km81 LawnSite Member

87 Octane was fine until the ethanol came into play. All manufacturers recommend 89 or higher now.

6. Penncare

Penncare LawnSite Member

I like to run 105 racing fuel in mine. Once cut down a three inch pine tree with it. Really I think it makes little difference at all.

7. FlemingIslandLawnService

FlemingIslandLawnService LawnSite Member

You might actually be doing your engine some harm. 89 at the minimum is recommended but I always go with premium to make my equipment last longer. I always put 87 in my truck though because automobiles don't have such small and sensitive engines like trimmers do

8. pattytastik

OK so i guess i'll switch to 89 octane. Walk behinds still use 87 right?

9. FlemingIslandLawnService

FlemingIslandLawnService LawnSite Member

yes and yes. also, just making sure that you are aware that you need to mix in 2 cycle oil for your trimmers/edgers/blowers, but not for your lawn mowers

10. pattytastik

haha of course. I use the powerblend made by echo. I know i sound like a newbie but i was looking over the manual (found it in the bottom of a drawer) and I was shocked to see it say 89 as opposed to 87.