Have I mentioned that I HATE Bermuda?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Envy Lawn Service, Aug 22, 2006.

1. Envy Lawn Service

Envy Lawn Service LawnSite Fanatic

I swear... I hate this stuff more and more all the time! I guess it's because I'm seeing more and more of it.

I'm telling ya... this wild/common variety... I can't really find anything good about it. I mean except if you wanted it for turf because you can never really totally exterminate it... it's like the Terminator. It may look like hell and die out, but It will be back!
  2. kmann

kmann LawnSite Senior Member

It is brutal isn't it? It seems like the only way to cut it is to scalp it, just to get the pleasure of butchering it. I will never take another lawn that is Bermuda.
  3. imograss

imograss LawnSite Senior Member

Alot of sports fieldsare hybrid bermuda. I don't like it either, but if it wasn't for bermuda allot of my customers would have only weeds.
  4. Envy Lawn Service

It's mixed in about everywhere here unless major excavation was involved and it's a new place. But it too will soon be infested.

I don't mind cutting it, and pure stands are easier to cut than the mixes. But I just don't like the stuff. You are always trying to prevent it from invading somewhere... and once you learn how to manage it where it looks good... well it still don't look that good to me.

I hate how it's puffy/spongy. When you come back to cut it, it looks all poofy/lumpy on top and after you cut it it looks smushed where you drove sometimes... ect.

This drought we had here annialated all turf species... and now that it won't stop raining, all I see is those d@mn poofballs and bahia or dallis stalks. It comes back with a vengence.
  5. Palmer'sLS

Palmer'sLS LawnSite Senior Member

wish we had rain..its been 6 weeks here w/o..:cry:
  6. Envy Lawn Service

A zone across my service area recieved no measurable rainfall for months.
    It started getting dry in the spring and there was no rainfall that mattered until now.
    Atleast 3 solid months.

It rained all around the area though and some of my lawns only showed stress a few weeks.
  7. grass_cuttin_fool

grass_cuttin_fool LawnSite Gold Member

Ive been watching the radar and Im about 90 miles north of greensboro on rt 29, I see all kinds of rain down that way and it just goes poof when its gets to the border. OR it will be raining nice and when the front comes across the MT in roanoke the rains go poof and as the front gets towards the flat land then it starts again. Living in the foothills...........is hard for it to rain. Im likeing Bermuda more............atleast I have something to mow in the yards that have it lol

8. lawnspecialties

lawnspecialties LawnSite Silver Member

I can live with common bermuda. My own yard is primarily common bermuda and it looks sweet. Bahia grass is what we need to be cussing here in NC.:dizzy:
  9. Envy Lawn Service

Yeah, my driest zone has been the foothills just a bit north of the lake and river.
    It will start raining down on the river, travel in the direction of the water (east), hit the lake and then plow NE.

The fronts have just went right around up against the mountains and rained there, or fizzled out in the flatlands, passed over the foothills and started back as soon as it crashed into the face of the mountains. Too far north of the water, too far south of the big mountains. UGH.

It was so dry in this zone the bermuda burnt right out with the fescue. No difference that I could see there. But as soon as the rain hits... boy the bermuda comes back wide open and the fescue is just gone.
  10. Nosmo

Nosmo LawnSite Bronze Member

We finally got a good rain Monday -- over an inch. It was truly needed and is reviving some of the grass.

As far as Bermuda it is the normal grass in this area of the country. I cut mine at 3-3/4" and it looks great. At that height it keeps all unwanted weeds , dallis grass and other types choked out.

But with the drought we have had I just couldn't keep the whole yard watered (1-1/4 acres) so I at least kept the front watered. Hopefully we will have a better year next year. The last two have been plenty dry.