Have need for a lawn tractor...

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by C&K, Apr 5, 2007.

1. C&K

C&K LawnSite Senior Member
    from East TN

I have a need for a lawn tractor. Lots of hills too steep for a ZTR and too large for a walk behind with sulky. Unproductive without sulky. I might add that there are four more properties I could be more efficient with a tractor style mower. Can anyone using a lawn tractor twelve hours or more a week make a recommendation? I am opting for a 50" or so cut width.

2. Scag48

Scag48 LawnSite Fanatic

How much are you making on these properties? The reason I'm asking is would it even make financial sense to go buy a lawn tractor for $5000-$6000 just to handle a few accounts. Might be better off either toughing it out with a sulky or drop the accounts all together.

3. corey1977

corey1977 LawnSite Senior Member
    from maine

c&k have you seen one of them new cub zero turns tractors its a conviontal that zeros turns?

4. ccash

ccash Banned

those look pretty cool.

5. mouse

mouse LawnSite Member

If you can't stay on the hills with a ztr you will not like the tractor on them.
    I would advise you to test drive what ever tractor you were interested in on
    the hills you want to mow. I use my Kubota zd 331 on hill sides that I would
    not consider a tractor on.

6. C&K

from East TN

I had no intention of spending 5 or 6k on the tractor. I do like the cub zero turn. I believe it is about $3500.00. I don't know that the zero turn is a necessity. A standard tractor with hydro-drive can be had for about $2200-$2600. I have looked at Cubs, J.D.'s, Husqvarnas, and even Troy-Bilts with hydro, 23 to 26hp, 50" to 54" decks. Can also use a lawn tractor for alot of other uses such as aeration, fertilization, etc.

7. lawnspecialties

lawnspecialties LawnSite Silver Member

Look for a good used John Deere 425, 445, or 455. It may be a little tough finding one for that price but it can be done. I had a 445 and a 455 and from time to time, wish I still had at least one of them. If you can't find one, a 345 will work well, too.

When it comes to dependability, they're as good as any commercial ztr.:)

8. DuraCutter

DuraCutter LawnSite Senior Member

I just bought 5 used tractors to pull power rakes and pull sweepers for spring cleanup. They are john deeres, the 160 model with 38" mowers. They are all about 20 years old and run great with mowers also running well. I won't use the mowers that much but I can't see how they would not do the job for you.

I paid about $750 each from a JD dealer. :)

9. supercuts

supercuts LawnSite Silver Member

im having trouble thinking a tractor will be better on a hill. i go up and down very steep hills on my ZTR all the time. i even drive sideways on a few very steep slopes. how is a tractor going to work better?? if a hill is steeper than for use with a ZTR it sounds to me to be too unsafe period! to each his own.

10. C&K

from East TN

The hills aren't to steep for a ztr to go on, but they are steep enough to make the ztr slide some going down and the deck weight makes the tires slide some. If it's wet the ztr will slide a lot and tear up the turf. Therefore a lawn tractor mower could be usefull in those situations whereas the front wheels (not casters) will keep the mower stable and not try to twist down hill.
    I have mowed much steeper grades with a lawn tractor than I would ever attempt with a ztr.

Anyone else ran into this type of areas where a lawn tractor would be usefull?