Have some time to kill.... Venting.

Discussion in 'Business Operations' started by PerfiCut L&L, Sep 7, 2007.

1. PerfiCut L&L

PerfiCut L&L LawnSite Senior Member

I have a 14' dump trailer that one of my guys bent the rear doors on (go figure). Took it to JIFFY HITCH (a popular trailer/hitch shop in town). They said no problem will take about 4 or 5 days. OK, dont have much choice since the rear doors wont lock closed, so I leave it.

Come back a week later on a Thursday, and get the (we had to order some parts) excuse, should be in by Monday or Tuesday. I needed the trailer to haul some pallets on monday morning so I stopped in, picked up the trailer did my business and returned it same day. All week goes by and I hear nothing. Stop back in the following Monday (its now been 18 days since dropoff). Desk clerk says its not done yet but the mechanic is outside if you want to talk to him. Go out, talk to the mechanic. I get "we should be agle to get to it this afternoon..."

I said "should" its been over two weeks, the parts were suppose to be in last Monday/Tuesday. Its a week later now... and you "might" get to it today.

He tells me "we're really busy you know... the holiday weekend and all.. blah,blah blah... besided hitch jobs take priority"

I said, "so if another hitch job comes in I keep moving to the bottom of the to do list?" I cant accept that... I have a business to run myself and need my equipment. I think 2 and half weeks is plenty long enough to weld on two hinges. I would like to see the manager.

Went inside to talk to the manager... and right off the bat she gives me this attitude about how there busy and repair jobs come last. I said that would have been nice to know in the beginning. I told her I need to have some kind of idea of WHEN so that I can plan my work schedules. I told her I though this was rediculous and that I feel like I'm getting jerked around.

She says"it's was the holiday weekend and we had a lot of work to do, blah, blah, blah, I don't need any more stress, my husband just had a stroke, blah blah blah...."

I said"I don't need excuses, I need my equipment, and if you dont want to fix it fine, I'lll take someplace else."

She looked trait at me and said " FINE, then GET THE F*** OUT"

-I told myself, self, what the heck just happen.... I was'nt even pissed yet. I told her I wanted to talk to her boss. So she calls someone and tells them what went down, and quickly admits to thim, "yes I did tell him to get the **** OUT", then she hands me the phone.

The owner, confirms that their policy is repairs come last. blah blah blah, and if I want he would be happy to sell me the the parts to take elsewhere for repair or he would have his guy fix it today.

Initially I was going to let them fix it since he assured me his guy would have it done today. But then I realized, he not once apologized or made any excuses for his managers behavior and disrespect. It almost seemed by his tone that he approved of her behavior.

I baught the parts, paid for the labor/time thus far and left. Found a metal fabricator 2 miles down the road that can have it done in a day. Who by the way, told me he gets a lot of business from Jiffy Hitch, not to mention, they dont even have the equipment or know how to do this kind of work. Apparently he knows the head mechanic at Jiffy Hitch.

What a crock! I can't believe this company is as popular as it is.

I'm getting a sign made up for the back of my trailer.

JIFFY HITCH
    "GET THE F*** OUT"

If I could get away with it, I would send him a bill for the time and money I lost while my trailer was sitting at his shop.

A$$WHOLE!

2. mattfromNY

mattfromNY LawnSite Bronze Member

Wow! I'd have all I could do to NOT kick her in the B0x and use her for a water ski!!!

3. Eric D

Eric D LawnSite Senior Member

PerfiCut,

I think you have a right to vent. Sound like they gave you the royal screw job. How long did it take the fab guy to complete the work? I would guess he had it done in less then a day.

Best of luck with the repair,

Eric D

4. topsites

topsites LawnSite Fanatic

I'm sorry to hear that but I get this crap all the time...

Didn't you get the feeling that you actually got lucky it DID get fixed, and had you not checked in on them and stayed on top of their tails that it likely would still not be fixed?
    Later edit: nevermind, I read the rest :laugh:

Because that's how I always feel, makes me think they just don't want to deal with me, way I figured it out.
    It sure pays to have at least two of everything, if one breaks you just can't count on it to get fixed anytime soon, it's just terrible.
    It got to the point I could no longer tolerate the anger, so now I fix EVERYTHING myself, even warranty related crap.
    It blew for several years to build up to that point, but I just got so tired of it, now I'm glad I made the switch.
    Because I won't put up with it, I'll even mail-order my equipment, seeing how warranty repairs is all that same song and dance also.

Are all the dealers like this?

And they wonder why I turned out like I did. :laugh:

5. lawnman456

lawnman456 LawnSite Member
    from ct

if something wrong with anything that i own. i bring it to my dealer and they fix it before the day is up. unless it's something big or i don't it anytime soon. it nice to have a dealer that treats you right

6. Brianslawn

Brianslawn LawnSite Silver Member

what was wrong with your back up trailer? if you cant do minor repairs like that on your own, then maybe you should hire a full time mechanic at your company.

7. PerfiCut L&L

The hinges to the doors needed to be cut off and new ones welded back on. This in itself is not a difficult task with the right equipment, unfortunately I do not have a welder, nor the time, otherwise I would have been able to make the repairs myself.

8. topsites

topsites LawnSite Fanatic

Ahhh, I get it.

I did pay extra for my trailer, dang $1,500+ for a 6x12 but it's from a local guy and I tell you it paid off in time. Every time I need something welded I just run it down there and for 20 or 25 bucks they do that for me, usually within the hour, I even wait until I got 2-3 maybe 4 things that need a tack, 1-2 days at the worst, maybe 3 and then I can take it with me and bring it back at that time.

Yeah, a lot of those national corporate-based franchises just don't provide that kind of service, the big whoop is all in their advertising, which is why I believe in paid ads :laugh:

9. DiyDave

DiyDave LawnSite Bronze Member

I, too have noticed the attitude of the surly biatch manager at Jiffyhitch. The only thing I take there anymore is trailer inspections, because they are the only ones that do trailers that are double axle, or over 14' or whatever the archaic Md trailer law is. If you go down Veteran's Highway till you get to 97, take 97 south to Rte 3 south to Gambrills. Go past Rte 175 to the Saint Stephens Church Rd Xover, do a U-turn, head back north a little to Patchett's Welding, on the left, in the median between NB and SB lanes they'll help you out, and their easy to find, if you cant find anybody in GB. On my way out of Jiffyhitch the last time, I made sure to insult the Biatch, its fun to get her riled up!:laugh: :laugh:

10. PerfiCut L&L

Thanks Dave. Patchetts' is where we ended up taking to and he's great. I do a lot of work in Gambrills so I was aware of his shop and went strait there.

Evidently she is getting around. I've heard similar stories from a few other landscapers I know who have been in and out of their lately.

Fine by me, Ill take my business elsewhere, they dont have anything that I cant find someplace else.

Thanks for the advice though, greatly appreciated.