Have Stihl 4 mix trimmers proven themselves yet?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by tacoma200, Mar 27, 2009.

1. tacoma200

tacoma200 LawnSite Fanatic

Well I haven't been keeping up much. I finally had a Stihl fs 80 break down after about 8 years (first failure of a Stihl product). Have the 4 mix models proven themselves. My dealer still has plenty of fs 80 two strokes but I'm looking at the FS 110 r. Just not sure how many of you have had valve problems. So is it worth it to go to 4 mix now or stay with the good old reliable two strokes? Please note any problems you have had other than the valve adjustment. Thanks!

2. mississippiturf

mississippiturf LawnSite Senior Member

Haven't had any problems with my 4-mix stuff to speak of. From what I've been reading on L/S if you run good synthetic oil you will have very little problems.

3. sandman23

sandman23 LawnSite Member
    from GA

No problems with my FS90 or KM90. I use Opti-2. This is the third season with them.

4. TheUfan

TheUfan LawnSite Member

My first commercial trimmer was an fs90 with the 4mix engine. I bought it several years ago. i personally prefer shindy trimmers but the stihl 4mix trimmers are good units. the only real problems i have had with the 4mix units is vibration in the handles. stihl puts an anti-vibration damper somewhere on the unit (I would guess in the handle) but I have had problems with vibration in 3 different 4mix units: fs90, km110r and the fs100. if you're not a poonanny like me though the stihl 4mixes have great torque and are very reliable. They weren't bad enough for me to sell them after 3 years.

5. Think Green

Think Green LawnSite Silver Member

I have run the KM110R and the KM90R (both non-dedicated) and use Amsoil 100/1 with no problems yet.

6. ECO Landscaping

ECO Landscaping LawnSite Member

I'm running an KM130 W/tiller,paddle,edger,and brush trimmer. Just got a FS100Rx but have not used it yet. Use the stihl synthetic oil (the white bottle). Also running three BR600 back pack blowers and never any problems with any of the 4-mix. JMI

7. genesis215

genesis215 LawnSite Senior Member

The FS 110 4-MIX is a very well proven trimmer. It has been out for 5 years now, and all the initial problems are long gone. These engines are actually MORE reliable than the "old reliable 2-strokes". Not kidding. My friends have run their FS 110's for 3 years, and run them hard, and they have never even adjusted the valves, and they still have yet to have one problem. The 4-MIX is alot more reliable than any of the EPA-bound 2-strokes of today. They don't have the problems that most modern 2-strokes have, such as hard starting, necessary warmup time before use, bogging, and low power. The 110 is in another universe in comparison to the 80, and I have tried both. No comparison. The 110 is a 2-thumbs up trimmer. As long as you run synthetic oil such as the Stihl Ultra, or preferably Amsoil Saber, then you wont have any valve troubles.

8. LedgedaleLawn

LedgedaleLawn LawnSite Senior Member

11, 4-Mix engines and they all run great. One pull start every time.

9. milo

milo LawnSite Bronze Member

first off its a stihl. next off all the other companys are trying to catch up. they are as good as any 2 stroke and last as long.

10. Fleur De Lawn

Fleur De Lawn LawnSite Member

My dealer says no! Not because anything is wrong with them yet he just does not trust the technology of that enginge yet, and he would rather sell me the 2 stroke.