Have to buy a new trimmer!

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Greg313, Jun 19, 2006.

1. Greg313

Greg313 LawnSite Member
    from Houston

My 8 year old Shindaiwa trimmer is on its last leg and I have to think about buying a new trimmer. I have been a Shindaiwa fan but after stopping at an Echo dealer and reading some post on here I'm not so sure about buying another one. I know that brand loyalty is a personal opinion but is Shindaiwa quality now worse because of EPA regulations? In my area I have Redmax, Stihl, SHindaiwa and Echo dealers (Echo being the closest). Which one should I buy, I was going to get the T231...or is it time to switch to another brand

2. TNT Lawncare

TNT Lawncare LawnSite Senior Member

I have an Echo SRM-261T. It has alot of power and torque. This thing will take down cat tails if you want it to. Just my 2 cents.

3. LawnInOrder

LawnInOrder LawnSite Senior Member

i would go with redmax. I had a echo srm 2400 then when it was on its last leg i retired it and bought a redmax 2600. Boy that machine is a beast. Enough power for the heavy weeds and light enough to use all day. starts on first pull or second if not primed when it cold after that one pull. Deff a great buy IMO. LawnInOrder

4. DAVEY PROS

DAVEY PROS LawnSite Member

Have a 2600 too and I completely agree. Engine starts a little cold but once that thing is running nothing can stop it. I would get the redmax in comparrison with the echo any day. Strong engine, good shoulder strap (when needed), light, and built well.

Hope this helps

5. Brendan Smith

Brendan Smith LawnSite Bronze Member

agree 100%. i will never own another brand as long as i can get redmax within 75 miles of home!!!!!!

6. kbrashears

kbrashears LawnSite Senior Member

I run Stihl FS 55's. I chose them over the larger models because they are light, but damn for the size they pack a punch. The only drawback to some may be the smaller gas tank, but I rarely run a trimmer over an hour and I can get 1.5 hrs per tank. I've got a 'favorite' I've run for four years and I've treated it like a red-headed step child and it still begs for more.

7. 6'7 330

6'7 330 LawnSite Bronze Member

All the brands you mentioned, make very worthy of consideration equipment. We use all Stihl, the dealer is second to none ,parts the vast majority of the time can be acquired same day. The 4-mix engine is powerful, and after break in, is good on fuel consumption, easy starts .

8. Richard Martin

Richard Martin LawnSite Fanatic

There is nothing wrong with a T-231 that a simple muffler change won't fix. I bought one back in February with the catalitic convertor on it and the non-cat muffler from my T-230 fits just fine. Same as it ever was now.

9. captken

captken LawnSite Bronze Member

Check around, Shindaiwa here is selling new 270's 260's and 230's.

In other words, you can buy a Shindaiwa trimmer, just like your "oldie" right now.

I bought a new T-270 3 months ago and a new T-230 last week.

Shindaiwa also sells these with the new [I like these] speed-feed heads.

http://www.shindaiwa.com/products/grass_trimmers/index.html

10. ThirdDay

ThirdDay LawnSite Senior Member

I'd go with the Echo SRM-260S or the 261T. They are great trimmers and the 261T high torque model is an absolute beast. We cant' find anythign that it won't handle!