Have to do snow to get the mow...

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by eggy, Apr 22, 2001.

1. eggy

eggy LawnSite Senior Member

Well the question gets asked to me so much its crazy, I do a cold commercial call for mowing, they respond do you do snow too? Its seems one stop shopping is becoming very popular, it only snows here maybe 2-3 times a winter and people freak..is any else experincing the gotta do snow to get our mow.....?????

2. Guido

Guido LawnSite Silver Member

I think it works out great for the employee and employer this way.

Employer: Only has to deal with one guy all year round for total outdoor maintenance, etc. Only has to write checks to one guy.

Employee: Gets to do all the work instead of just the lawn = more $$ if you can offer add on's of course.

Many people are against offering add on services or subcontracting out certain types of outdoor work, but I think it could work great in todays world, where people rather just pay instead of getting a headache running around talking to 12 different companies to do different things.

Also, if you let another company (that you don't know) get the contract for snow removal, landscaping, irrigation, etc for one of your customers, chances are one of them offers the whole package and will soon knock you out of the picture.

Just my opinion!

Hope this helps you see the other side of the picture.

3. John from OH

John from OH LawnSite Member

I've always priced the snow with the maintenance package as I believe in servicing the customer for the whole year. By getting the snow plowing contract with the mowing, the property is taken out of the "bid loop" come fall. Having our commercial snow contracts locked up allows us to buy salt at pre-season discounts in September, putting more dollars to the bottom line.

4. OBRYANMAINT

OBRYANMAINT LawnSite Senior Member

i am the same way or even opposite....i do more calling for snow ..which is what i want more of.....but also like to get the mowing too

5. Skookum

Skookum LawnSite Senior Member

Snow is part of full grounds maintenance if the customer wants it. If you do not wish to do snow, then get with someone and sub it out. I did this last year on my snow accounts so I would not have to do them myself anymore. It worked out great!

6. John DiMartino

John DiMartino LawnSite Silver Member

I do more snow than mow too,I only mow for my plow customers so far,its easier for them,most property managers dont have the time to meet with 10 guys,its better for me,I can handle all their outside needs,and they only have to cut checks to one company.