Have to Move to Florida

Discussion in 'Network: South' started by sedge, Apr 15, 2007.

1. sedge

sedge LawnSite Fanatic

Hey all you Florida guys :)

I am hopeful you can can offer me some help. Let me give you some back ground about myself and what we are asking. I have in the past posted under my brothers id here and have pm'd some of you guys, so maybe you recognize my plan and thoughts.

I work for my brother here in OKC, OK. Working for family is not always what it is cracked up to be.... lol,lol. I have learned a lot of things "not" to do and would like to get my family (5 kids) off to a fresh start. i'm tired of always being wrong and the dumba$$, lol,lol even though most things work out like I originally said, but enough of that.......:nono:

My fiancee is a nurse and wants to go onto nurse anesthetist school.:waving: and there are none located in our state here in OK. She is also from a warmer climate then here and would like to relocate. There are 3 Nurse Anesthetist schools located in the Miami area 1. Barry University, Miami Shores, 2. Florida International University, North Miami, 3. University of Miami, Coral city, south of Miami, so thats where we are seriously thinking of relocating there. It is fairly hard to get into this type of degree, but with 3 schools in the area and my fiancee's background, we think this is the best plan.

Plan is that my wife works as a nurse as we get started, so i don't need a lot of work right away. My equipment will be paid for and all we need to cover is our rent and related expenses to start. Once I am established, then my wife will enroll into one of the colleges and complete her schooling. Not looking to make a big business, but enough to care for my family reasonably.

Please if possible, can any one direct us to a good general area to get started and set down some family type roots for at least a few years if not permanently? of course we can relocate in that same general area, so I don't want any higher crime areas of course, but some areas not to far from the 3 schools and a decent area to live and maybe pickup some work?

Would really appreciate this guys... more then you know... Thanx

PS,

What about these other areas here? the other areas for this we are considering are here below, but they have only 1 school in each area;

1. Florida Gulf Coast University, Fort Myers

2. Gooding Institute of Nurse Anesthesia, Panama City

3. Wolford College, Naples

Thanx again!!!

2. sedge

sedge LawnSite Fanatic

You guys can PM me if you prefer, Thanx!

3. jerryo

jerryo LawnSite Member
    from nj

wonder how sedge made out?

4. jerryo

jerryo LawnSite Member
    from nj

my bad-i thought this post was from nov

5. CkLandscapingOrlando

CkLandscapingOrlando LawnSite Senior Member

Naples then Fort Myers would be my choice

6. FSully

FSully LawnSite Member

Are you fluent in Spanish? I'll have to agree with CK....Naples, Ft Myers, Panama City, pick the best out of the 3. I'm an hour north of Miami, and I'm starting to see my area resemble Miami, more and more everyday.

As far as your wife finding a nursing job, she will basically have her pick of hospitals. But being an LCO in Miami.....lets just say cheap. If there is anything I can help out with drop me a line.

frank

7. yamadooski

yamadooski LawnSite Senior Member

I would run as far away from Florida as you can if you are going to do any lawn care.
    I decided to to capitalize on all the lawn people in our area.
    Now 85% of my business comes from other LCO's
    We still do 10% landscaping and 5% lawn main.

I think by next year I will be 100% relying on all lawn care guys.

Life is great...:usflag:

8. CkLandscapingOrlando

CkLandscapingOrlando LawnSite Senior Member

What is your business?I might be slow but I dont follow you

9. yamadooski

yamadooski LawnSite Senior Member

Its all done by networking.
    Work smart not hard.
    I dont want to go into details cause I have niche on the market here.
    I plan to expand to other areas.
    Been in business for 15 years and every year everyone complains about all the lowballers.
    So a few years ago I would listen to a few of my lawn friends tell me about such and such person. About how they lowball yards.
    I said to myself how can I capitalize on the little terds ruining the industry.
    It didnt take me long and I figured a way to do it.

I mean lets face it. Look at all the thousands of lawn guys driving around.
    Now look at how many Equipment dealers are in your area. Maybe a few but not thousands.
    Its the same concept.
    I also do wholesale brokerage to a lot of landscapers.
    I go where the money is, you the lawn guy and landscaper, not the general public where Im competing against some blow hole that says he's a so called professional lawn guy that says he can do landscaping but cant name 20 botanical names of palms or any plant of that matter.