1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by affprop, Apr 2, 2003.

1. affprop

affprop LawnSite Member

I have mowed this municipality for years 4 to be exact, and this ex-employee, whose uncle started a mowing bus. went in and undercut my pricing. I have always treated this town fair 77 cemetaries, 6 parks, 2 fire stations, 1 soccer field, 1 baseball field, the cemetaries are all over the town. One cemetary takes 12 hrs with two people to mow and trim. The scrub bid 335.00 to mow, can you believe it, In size it has to be 4 acres. Sorry guys I know there alot of other stories I just had to get it out.
  2. adrianvbarrera

adrianvbarrera LawnSite Member

How much were you bidding on it?

3. Randy Scott

Randy Scott LawnSite Bronze Member

Municipalities always take the low bid. Rarely, rarely EVER do they not take the low bid, that means you were the low bid for the last four years. Maybe you were the scrub to someone else.
  4. lawnagent

lawnagent LawnSite Senior Member

Where I live, it is the LAW that the municipality take the low bid. No if's and's or buts.:(
  5. BobR

BobR LawnSite Senior Member

That looks like the major portion of your business - also the reason I stay away from municipal contracts. It is now buck up time and start passin out fliers.. You will recover and be stronger for it.
  6. cturner

cturner LawnSite Member

thats all part of the game i'm not saying it's good but theres no way to get around it :(
  7. mike9497

mike9497 LawnSite Senior Member

i agree with bobr.

i did somethings like this back in the day.if you bid 300 and the next guy bids 100 they give it to him.now if he does a poor job
    they can fire him without paying him what is owed.then the next lowest is called to do a poor job also.then the higher bidder gets the job back....lol lol
  8. Jason Pallas

Jason Pallas LawnSite Bronze Member

Feeling your pain - so far this year we've lost a staggering 35 customers to scrubs/low-ballers. In 20+ years in the biz - this is shaping up to be one of the worst for trying to hold on to accounts because of low-ballers and scrubs. It's just damm discouraging to watch a client base that you've built for years go down the drain because the economy is in the shitter and every dirtball with a craftsman is out there working for peanuts, not paying taxes, liscenses, insurance, etc..... and you're expected to try to compete with them on price. I come home every night with a headache to a list of 3-4 more customers than have left because they found someone cheaper.

LAWNS AND MOWER LawnSite Bronze Member

Can you say " Don't put all your eggs in one basket"???? I had a buddy who did all the properties for a apartment rental agency. Was 65% of his revenue. Got canned 2 weeks before mowing season started. He's making a comeback, but still licking his wounds. Good luck!!
  10. cajuncutter

cajuncutter LawnSite Senior Member

Some will not like my response but oh well. Most of us have been there before. That place is down and out and having to roll with the punches. Face it guys the unemployment rate is up and people are hungry. They will do what it takes to make ends meet. I see all over this forum, since the first day I joined, are complaints about "scrubs". I hate to burst bubbles, and I am not the first nor will I be the last, almost all of you were considered scrubs. Yeah that's right I was right in there with you. Started out with an electric weed wacker and electric blower and a $129 murray special from Wally world. There were probably a lot of laughs behind my back and frankly I could care less!! I did not have a daddy that forked over the cash for high dollar equipment and I for one am glad. It has made me appreciate what I have accomplished. If the guy can make money to accomplish whatever goals he has then more power to him. If he is pushing a Wally world special while you sit on a $7000 + machine and he can profit at a lower bid then good for him. Folks that is the wondeful thing about free enterprise. It happens to the best of us.