Have too know what you all think

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by kturf, Feb 26, 2005.

1. kturf

kturf LawnSite Member

Just wondering what you all are considering a low baller i will not load my trailer for 20.00 a lawn but the boy next door and the illegals will . have been loosing alot of business to this kinda cr--p have too wonder how long we will have to wait till this kinda stuff will end or will we always have this ?
    are these considered lowballers or just scum bags that don't have a real business to run .

For sale Exmark 48'' walk behind in NC

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

For sale 2003 Exmark 48 " metro walk behind with velkey used one season has about 45 hrs on it used by homeowner.1750.00 call or pm at 336 280-3074

2. nobagger

nobagger LawnSite Gold Member
    from Pa

We all have to deal with these type of people. You have to instill in your customers that you are the professional service and they are not, you have to remind them of your being insured, of your various services provided and professionalism and a staff that will be consistant. Its a tight economy so if we have to, and I'm not saying compete with them, but do a price check in your area. I'm thinking this year of taking pictures of the "low ballers" lots and mine and show the customer the difference. :realmad:

3. kturf

kturf LawnSite Member

Thats the best idea i heard of thanks a bunch iam going to take some digital pictures of there work while there doing it and use it in a evidence manual when selling a new client Thanks again for the great idea

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

For sale 2003 Exmark 48 " metro walk behind with velkey used one season has about 45 hrs on it used by homeowner.1750.00 call or pm at 336 280-3074

4. Woody82986

Woody82986 LawnSite Silver Member
    from DFW, TX

Thats a great idea nobagger. I have to say that sometimes lowballers take away the clientel that we as professionals don't really want anyway. The clients that want an acre mowed every other week for $20 and don't care what their lawn looks like. I don't want these kind of people as clients. I have seen at least 8 different rigs around town in the last two days that weren't here when the season ended last year. Probably 6 of these guys I won't see after June b/c their crap will break down. A couple will make it and might learn how to become good LCO's. This is something we all have to live.

5. askarvelis

askarvelis LawnSite Member

I can not worry about everybody else! As long as I stick to my guns I will survive. I lost several people this year already because they do not like maintenance agreements and turned around next day and probably landed 9 apt. complexes!

6. mtdman

mtdman LawnSite Gold Member

Don't worry about them. Focus on making your company/service the best it can be. Whether that means improved customer relations or better work, etc. I really don't give a crap about what the next guy is doing, just focus on myself and my business. If I worried about every other lco in town and what they were doing, I'd drive myself crazy and not have time to pay attention to my own work.

And honestly, if I called an electrician for an estimate, and they showed up with a photo album of pictures of other guy's work, I'd be turned off. To rip on the competition and bad mouth them seems petty. I want someone who is confident in their work and sells me on them. Not by ripping on the cheaper guy.

The other thing is, maybe you are focusing on the wrong people? I don't sell on price. I try to sell on quality, experience, and word of mouth reputation. And I do it with confidence. If someone turns me down because I'm $2 more than the next guy, I don't want them anyway. I want the homeowner concerned with quality and making their lawn look the best with my service.

Scrubs, lowballers, etc are a waste of time to worry about.

7. kturf

kturf LawnSite Member

mtd man you are correct . it just gets frustrating when you get the calls or loose the business

8. mtdman

mtdman LawnSite Gold Member

Yes, it does. But think about it this way. If those people are willing to jump ship for a cheaper guy, did you really want them anyway? I don't. I don't wanna be the cheapest guy out there, and I don't want people chosing me because I am the cheapest. I want customers that don't base their decision on $$, but quality. Figure out a way to get those people, and keep them loyal, and scrubs and lowballers aren't a problem.

9. kturf

kturf LawnSite Member

i must of had those customers that just want it cut so they don't have too i really baffles me why you would have a four hundred thousand dollars house and not give a sh about your lawn . i had one customers next door neighbor came over an dsaid they really appreciated me doing this guys yard it looked so much better then the customer hires a illegal to do it

10. Likestomow

Likestomow LawnSite Senior Member

Very few, and I do mean very few of my customers are so wealthy that they don't flinch at a higher than normal price. I would have to say that the majority of people do give a great deal of weight to price first. Salesmanship is a key abilitly to help keep the price up high enough, but to disregard a prospect for simply being money conscious is narrow thinking.