1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Have you bought any equipment off Ebay?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by rob7233, Oct 29, 2007.

1. rob7233

rob7233 LawnSite Senior Member

I was wondering if anyone has had great luck with buying mowers or handheld equipment off Ebay. I'm fairly mechanical so buying a trimmer or blower or the like is not a big deal. I would only consider the big commercial brands- Stihl, Shindaiwa, Echo or Redmax. Most of this stuff lasts a long time if maintained. Even new ones have problems..

Are you comfortable with buying used?
  2. Supper Grassy

Supper Grassy LawnSite Bronze Member

i bought a mower off ebay - used but other than thatworks graet

Handhelds on the other hand i would buy from a dealer beacuse : support, easy to get parts, service.
    why get someone elses problem with hand helds? granted that most are probally fine, i would just buy new
  3. Langford2000

Langford2000 LawnSite Member

I bought my first two mowers used off ebay. Good deals - just be sure of what you are buying. Ask a lot of questions and pick it up if at all possible to inspect before you pay. The handhelds I would buy new. Just my .02
  4. GrassyTomm

GrassyTomm LawnSite Member

I bought a RedMax EB7001 off eBay in the Spring. The description claimed it to have been barely used and a check of the serial number by my dealer revealed it to have been manufactured in October of last year so I figured it would be ok. I got it for $288 and have not had a single problem yet.
  5. woodbutcher44

woodbutcher44 LawnSite Member

not ebay but lots off of craigs list mostly local listings (with in 75 miles) with great results.
  6. txgrassguy

txgrassguy LawnSite Gold Member

I bought a Toro 216-G Reelmaster off of e-bay.
    Less than $2K used, wrenched on it a bit and turned around and sold it for over $5K.
    Classic case of buyer beware!
    I knew what I was doing, the rest didn't.
    Made the purchaser a good machine though, that's for sure.
  7. ed2hess

ed2hess LawnSite Fanatic

I bought an irrigation valve finder for less than 30% of the price of a new one and haven't had any problems. I see all these parts for sale...been wanting to get some but don't have an account set up in my name....wonder if that is complicated?
  8. rob7233

rob7233 LawnSite Senior Member

Dealer support or service on handhelds isn't a big deal to me since I prefer to work on them myself. I can cause I keep backups. I figure it costs too much in travel time plus repair/estimate rates. Most times, I usually just call in to order parts and pick up while servicing in the dealer's area.

Seller's history and feedback, knowledge and condition of the item and answers to my questions usually determine if I will even bid to win on an item.
  9. SpikeGT

SpikeGT LawnSite Member
    from NW OH

I bought an Echo blower off ebay. It was brand new in box.
  10. Dirt Digger2

Dirt Digger2 LawnSite Silver Member
    from PA

i've bought a few tractors off ebay...all were decent except my newest one i got there and the shift forks were broken and i dont have the time to split it and fix it so i got my money back