have you ever been able TO RETAIN a client who has gone to collections?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by bobbygedd, Jan 30, 2006.

1. bobbygedd

bobbygedd LawnSite Fanatic
    from NJ

i been speaking with different collection services. one says, they handle the collections "gently", as not to destroy the relationship between contractor and client. i'm not sure this matters. i think, if the accoiunt goes to collections, the relationship is history immediately. so the question is: has anyone taken an account to collections, collected, and retained the client? thank you

2. Green-Pro

Green-Pro LawnSite Bronze Member

Only had one go to collections so far and no didn't retain, but then again I did not expect or want to retain.

3. jpp

jpp LawnSite Silver Member

Why would you want to retain them? They already prove that they are a deadbeat and a pita. The answer to your question is no. Are you fishing again?

JP

4. tcls83

tcls83 LawnSite Member

No way! That's insane!

Its like walking into the hornets nest you just walked into the week earlier! I wished anyone who did that lived in my area so that they could deal with those people that way I wouldn't have to deal with the headaches!

5. bobbygedd

from NJ

no, i'm just giving you guys feedback from the collection services i've spoken with

6. jpp

Sorry about that. I misread it. But I wouldn't want the collection agency being gentle so not to harm the relationship. Heck the client already ruined it by not paying you. :dizzy: Is my thinking wrong on that part?

7. grass_cuttin_fool

grass_cuttin_fool LawnSite Gold Member

A bit off topic here. This year I recieved a bda check from a client and he was very slow to make the check good. I was thinking that I was going to have to go to court over it. Then when I thought court was the only way I recieved a check in the mail and this one was good lol.Im going to keep this client, he is a single parent with a child and evidently just had a bad run of luck. I think everyone has over checked at one time or another.

wayne

8. lawnguyland

lawnguyland LawnSite Bronze Member

A little slack here maybe? It was a good question, don't jump to conclusions so fast...

No, I never did the collections thing and no I wouldn't even want the client back. However, I have had deadbeats that took a while to pay, eventulally did pay including late fees and then I took them back again (if they were neighbors of customers mostly, and then I get paid in advance).

9. jpp

Hey I apolgized. I misread the first part. :waving:

10. bobbygedd

from NJ

oh, i agree. it took me by surprize when i heard the lady say that. i can't see the relationship being able to continue