1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Have you ever been asked to bid against another member of LawnSite?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Olylawnboy, Apr 19, 2006.

1. Olylawnboy

Olylawnboy LawnSite Senior Member
    from Oly Wa

Today as I was finishing one of my commertial accounts I had a guy come up to me and ask me to bid a job that is currently being done by a fellow member of LawnSite. I've never really met the guy but I've seen him and/or his outfit around for years and they do, or did, a good job. In fact I even lost an account to them in the past as they charged less then me. And of coarse the place never looked as good as when I was doing it but that's another story:)
    Anyway, how do you all feel about bidding against fellow LawnSite members? I just don't feel right doing it.
    It's a homeowner association that is looking for a cheaper price on thier common grounds and I can understand that. I'm not going to bring the price of this work down but the alternative is that it will, in the long run go to, and I hate to say it, to the Spanish speaking workforce that is growing by leaps and bounds in our market, like everywhere else right!
    And I thought it was bad enough to deal with scrubs:) (sorry, can we use the S word?)
    So what do you all think? :)
  2. topsites

topsites LawnSite Fanatic

Bid it but don't lowball it.
    And if it goes to the mexxies, let them sweat until they're deported.
    Now if they're legit, that's another story.
  3. kmann

kmann LawnSite Senior Member

Thats exactly right. Tell them up front that if its a service issue thats one thing, but price is another. I'm sure you know the going price in your area. If you lowball, someone will do it to you, and only the customer will win.
  4. mulcahy mowing

mulcahy mowing LawnSite Senior Member
    from ma

This is real life dont lowball it, just stick close to your ethics and everything will be kosher.
  5. CutInEdge Lawn Care

CutInEdge Lawn Care LawnSite Senior Member

Kmann did I talk to you on Outrigger today?
  6. TheKingNJ

TheKingNJ LawnSite Senior Member

he took your work, why not tkae his?
  7. desert rose gardening

desert rose gardening LawnSite Senior Member

We don't have Lawnsite out here in Jacumba