Have you ever ran away from a yard that was TOO nice?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by topsites, Apr 19, 2006.

1. topsites

topsites LawnSite Fanatic

I know it sounds crazy but from time to time I come up on them... Yards that if there was a contest, they'd win the Gold every year no doubt, just everything perfect, not a leaf or a piece of dirt in the wrong place, even the blades of grass appear to stand at attention, so to speak. It's all spi* and span, really the perfect yard.

It's beyond nice, it is so good that even today they intimidate me (the yards do it yes lol) and I know I've ran from one or two in my early days, mostly because I thought I couldn't take care of it, I was actually afraid I'd mess something up, so to speak.

Good thing most are not like that, anyone else run into this?
    And no, it's not that the customers are pitas, matter of fact most of the time they're about the nicest folks on the face of earth.

2. ChadA

ChadA LawnSite Senior Member

I still looking for one of those.

3. mike lane lawn care

mike lane lawn care LawnSite Bronze Member

i work at one. the landscpaing was all done by the homeowner in his earlier days, the property is over 150 years old. the place requires a lot of attention but it is tremendous. the place is spectacular, and i hope that i can keep the place looking like this. even in the pond there is not one leaf or other piece of debris. i'll have to post some pictures

4. ilovethisgame

ilovethisgame LawnSite Member

My expierence is if they mantained the yard themselves you have to explain that they are far more meticulus than you will ever have time to be. In most cases they just wanted me to do the "heavy work" mowing, hedge trimming, leaf clean-up... they tend to do their own deadheading, pest/weed control, planting... it's been 50/50 great folks to pitas. If they canned their gardener and the yard is spotless all I can say is RUN FORREST...RUN :walking:

5. Richard Martin

Richard Martin LawnSite Fanatic

I'm moving to NC in 3 weeks and I've sold my accounts to 2 different LCOs. One estate I do is 16 acres but I only service the 2 acres directly around the house. I stripe it, trim and edge. The first guy who looked to buy the account wouldn't even go up the driveway and said there was no way he could do it. The second guy is the contractor that I sub the landscaping work to at the same property and he is very nervous about doing it. To try and calm his fears I will go with him the first couple of times he cuts it just to make sure he gets it right.

6. 2 clowns mowing

2 clowns mowing LawnSite Senior Member

i run across these yard where the owners are yard happy and what ever you do isn't right so i try to stay away from them.:walking:

7. rodfather

rodfather LawnSite Fanatic

Run away from something too nice? Never :nono:

8. Richard Martin

Richard Martin LawnSite Fanatic

Well... When you have two clowns mowing... Need I say any more?

9. Hank Reardon

Hank Reardon LawnSite Senior Member

You've described our work week, year round. We've built our business around high-end properties who want it perfect. It's a niche market that if you have the skills and equipment, can be quite lucrative.

:)

-Russ

10. topsites

topsites LawnSite Fanatic

I'm not talking nice yards or yards where people want it perfect because yeah that is everybody... Wanting and having are two different things, everybody wants, but very few have. And there don't exist enough of these yards in one city, let alone the entire state to support a whole business. I've only ran into a few in five years.
    I just don't see how, if you're high-end only, you'd have enough customers... But I guess the keywords are 'can be...'