Have you ever used a power broom?

Discussion in 'Starting a Lawn Care Business' started by instyle, Dec 8, 2006.

1. instyle

instyle LawnSite Senior Member
    from Canada

I just bought one off the internet. it is a BCS 722, with a 40" broom. I bought it to clean sidewalks on my commercial accounts.

But I heard they work real well for dethatching/power raking. Is this true? I mean a 40" power rake would be awesome.

Has anyone tried any other BCS equipment?

2. DuraCutter

DuraCutter LawnSite Senior Member

I also thought they'd be great for power raking. Unfortunately, under the wrong hands, it can destroy a lawn. It's very agressive and you better know what you're doing.

Your typical power rakes are much safer, work fantastic and don't do nearly the damage the broom can inflict on a lawn.

Brooms are great for many other things like snow removal when it's fluffy unpacked snow, or cleaning a parking lot if you wear a respirator...etc...:canadaflag: :canadaflag:

3. taproot

taproot LawnSite Member

They work great for dethatching good thick turf. Just be sure to adjust it to the right height. It can rip a mossy or not so established lawn right down to dirt though.

4. LindblomRJ

LindblomRJ LawnSite Silver Member

I have used them after nasty thunderstorms with hail there was lots of trash on the turf.

I was always adjusting the height on the broom. It was mounted on the front of a old Jacobson mower.