Have you ever used you ZTR in the winter?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by instyle, Sep 8, 2007.

1. instyle

instyle LawnSite Senior Member
    from Canada

I am thinking about using my JD quik tracs in the winter with a snow blade for clearing sidewalks and such. Has anyone used theirs? Is their enough traction? I can just see myself hitting a building becasue I can't turn.
    Thanks

2. Nosmo

Nosmo LawnSite Bronze Member

I know people in the northern areas do use them for snow removal. Do a search for snow blades and I feel certain help will come up.

There was a post back in late June or early July which showed a bargain buy on a 60" Cub Tank including snow plow and chains. So there are some folks using them in the winter time.

Nosmo

3. MikeLT1Z28

MikeLT1Z28 LawnSite Bronze Member

i use my walker in the winter for fall/winter cleanups. walker sells a snowthrower attachment and wheel chain kit, as well as an enclosed cab.

you could probably use it with no troubles for that, add a front mount spreader and you could sling ice melting pellets too.

4. jwl5510

jwl5510 LawnSite Member

I have used the old style Toro Grounds master for snow worked good when I lived in OHIO

5. lawnspecialties

lawnspecialties LawnSite Silver Member

I use my Hustlers throughout the winter for mowing lawns.

6. BeautifulBlooms

BeautifulBlooms LawnSite Senior Member

I dont do any winter maintenance, but I have one strong feeling. Dont use a fine tuned machine like your lawn mower anywhere you are using salt, that would be a real shame to have to replace every part on a mower because you got salt into the little crevises. Use a heavier duty machine intended for snow removal with appropriate guards and less movable parts like belts, pulleys, etc.

Now if you are just pushing aside snow that might be ok, but not if there is salt used.

7. PEVO

PEVO LawnSite Member

Snow??? whats that? I'll be mowing year round...that is if it keeps raining.

8. All_Toro_4ME

All_Toro_4ME LawnSite Bronze Member

Exactly. I hear ya Pevo. They said today we are at 48 inches for the year. 52 inches is all time record, ever for one year. And more rain in the forecast. At least its nice and green here and growing like crazy.