Have you ever wondered...?

Discussion in '<a href=http://www.plowsite.com target=_blank ?>Sn' started by JCurtis, Oct 23, 2000.

1. JCurtis

JCurtis LawnSite Senior Member

Why so many incompetent drivers ( non snowplow drivers of course) end up on a road during a snow storm?

The only fools that should be out during a storm are guys like us who are insane enough to buy trucks and plows just to make the world a better place to live, so the rest of the world can get around in the winter !!!!

The best thing that ever happend during a storm was when the Governor of Connecticut ( the late Ella Grasso) closed the state during one of the worst blizzards in recent time
    (early 80's, can't remember the exact year)

It made it illegal to be on the road unless u were operating a plow vehicle. they actually called the national guard to transport medical staff to hospitals in their 6x6's it was a heck of a winter.

Does anyone recall that?

2. DYNA PLOW

DYNA PLOW LawnSite Member

no, but a guy shur can dream.
    too much snow is not enough for me!
    dan

3. DaveO

DaveO LawnSite Member

Blizzard of '78

Dave

4. thelawnguy

thelawnguy LawnSite Silver Member

Yes it was the 78 blizzard (she died in 1980).

That storm was the one and only time I rode my snowmobile on the Interstate. (13 year old kids will do anything). It was too deep for my old Snowbird snowblower-the machine would just tunnel under it so I would man the blower and my brother would hack off chunks of snow and toss em into the auger.

5. cat320

cat320 LawnSite Senior Member

I think when it snows every one just gets in there cars to bust our chops.I can't tell you how many people where getting in my way when i was plowing.I felt like running them of the road.and it was '78 for the big blizard

6. GeoffDiamond

GeoffDiamond LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Maine

Well i guess i am lucky. In maine you have the traditional, commuter trafic, which is probably peanuts to you guys. However when it snows, from about 7 PM to 7 AM you and the Dot and town trucks own the roads. In fact i have been know to take a break with the public works garage, with the guys.

Geoff

7. cat320

cat320 LawnSite Senior Member

Geoff,I use to work for a town and they are a great bunch of guys.We use to take many coffee breaks waiting for it to acumulate again on my route there was just me and another guy with a six wheeler with a 12' oneway then i would be behind him pushing back to the curb.But i like being on my own and plowing .not as much fun but i get down quicker.

8. diggerman

diggerman LawnSite Senior Member
    from Iowa

I and 4x4's have a love, hate relationship,they allow me to plow snow, but every moron with an SUV wants to see if he or she can make it to the store to buy a pack of gum during the worst storm of the season. They are then pissed because they slide into my truck while I am plowing. As far as I am concerned when it snow they should stay home I give snow joy riders NO leaway period they can move for me or just wait.

9. iowastorm

iowastorm LawnSite Senior Member
    from Iowa

Digs,

Thanks for insulting me and my SUV. For you guys not familiar with the Midwest, we've got this crowd of people that go 4 wheeling in their hillbilly cadillacs (Ford pick-up trucks complete with lift kit and gun rack; 1970's vintage) right after the bar closes. Whenever there is a snow storm (in Iowa a big snowstorm is anything over 1" of snow)you can usually find Digger and his friends doing this.
    Never done it myself, just heard about it. Anyway, I really think our neck of the woods is due for a big one; something over 15". Anyone else feel this way?

10. BRL

BRL LawnSite Bronze Member

Our Governor Whitman in NJ declared the same state of emergency that Jeff mentioned for the Blizzard of '96. Most businesses didn't open for the Monday and a lot for the Tuesday following. I think on Monday the only vehicles on the road were the only ones physically (4WD etc.) able to get around. Mucho snow still on the roads. What fun!