Have you increased you fees due to gas?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Q-Team Inc, May 21, 2004.

1. Q-Team Inc

Q-Team Inc LawnSite Member

Have you been forced to raise your rates for mowing and such due to the gas increase? Here in Maine it has gone up about 40 cents in the past month. We are now paying 2.05 per gallon and thats for regular.I'm thinking of sending out a letter stating that there will be a X% increase from last year.
    If any of you have sent out a letter stating this, would you post it or email me with it. I'm looking for some ideas.

Thanks

2. Trevors Lawn Care

Trevors Lawn Care LawnSite Bronze Member

havent raised prices.. Dont plan on it. ...yet

trevor

3. Woody82986

Woody82986 LawnSite Silver Member
    from DFW, TX

I am still paying under $2.00 per gallon for gas so I am not going to add a surcharge as of yet. I am paying $1.81 per gallon right now. In my bills this month I am going to add a stipulation that if the price of gas should rise above $2.00 per gallon, I will be adding a $5.00 charge per month to every bill while the gas is above $2.00 per gallon. I feel like I am partly at fault because I should have added this into my first mailing of the season, so I don't feel like it should be all on their shoulders, but I do have to account for a rising cost of doing business.

4. Green Pastures

Green Pastures LawnSite Silver Member

As my contracts come up for renewal I'm adjusting all pricing to reflect current gas prices.

5. Rather Be Fishing

Rather Be Fishing LawnSite Member
    from Ohio

Sounds like a solid plan. Everyone I know is complaining about the current cost for gas, from LCO's and other business operators to homeowners/clients. Some of my better clients have even brought the topic up with concern to how the recent price gouging is effecting me. I've told them the truth, since I run a small operation the biggest impact has been more on fuel consumption and travel time with my low mpg truck than with equipment. Currently I see no need to raise prices to reflect the rising cost of fuel. But...

I'll wait and see how oil prices go through fall and winter, if we don't see a break at the pump I'll end up eating more of a loss next season, so a slight rate increase might be inevitable. I'm picking up new accounts as we speak and I have bid a hair on the high side considering operating costs, if all goes well with these newer accounts they won't need any price adjustment.

Personally, I hate going to buy gas now-a-days, I only know to expect the worst.