Have you overseeded established .KBG with a TTTF blend

Discussion in 'Turf Renovation' started by Terraformer, Mar 11, 2008.

1. Terraformer

Terraformer LawnSite Member

I'm planning to used some of my property to run some tests on TTTF - specifically Titans blend. My established turf is KBG with a blend of perennial rye and traditional fescues - typical for Wisconsin lawns. I'm interested to know if anyone has overseeded, using TTTF, a similarly established lawn and what their end result was like. Did you like it? Did the the TTTF look clumpy in the mist of the established lawn? What was the full sun and shade performance like throughout the entire season? Any other observations?

Thanks

2. Lawncop26

Lawncop26 LawnSite Member

I just did the same to my lawn last fall, had KBG/Per.rye and liked TTTF better, so I overseeded with that, too soon to tell but looks alright so far, crossing fingers! Keep posted.

3. grassman177

grassman177 LawnSite Fanatic

of course it will be good, that is what we do and it makes the lawn even better no matter what imo

4. rcreech

rcreech Sponsor
    Male, from OHIO

That is all I do!

Almost all lawns I work on are PR or KYB but when I overseed I use a 80% TTTF mix to overseed unless specified by the customer (which they really don't care....they just want it to look good).

You will never know it by looking at the lawn unless you know what you are looking for.

You will not see "bunches" of grass at all. This is a very fine leaf blade and you will be giving your lawn a better stress drought tolerance.

I have seeded like this for three years and not had any problems at all.

5. Terraformer

That's good to hear! I'm planning on using a Titan blend (e.g., TLC, Rendition, Covenant, or Kittyhawk2000). Have you used any of these? If not, what are you using/doing?

6. rcreech

rcreech Sponsor
    Male, from OHIO

I use TeamMate or TeamMate Plus from Lesco. I have had tremendous success with it! I used about 12,000# last year just to let you know how much I like the product and how comfortable I am with it.

I am going to try a little bit from another company this year that I met at a trade show...but not sure why. They are strictly a seed company and I know they have a great products.

Not sure why I am as this seed is about .15 more/lb, but worth a shot. I have a couple ton ordered just to compare to Lesco.

If no noticable differences (color, emergence etc) I will stay with Lesco for sure.

7. Terraformer

Sent you a PM about your OS15.

8. Marcos

Marcos LawnSite Gold Member

One thing to think about for an established bluegrass lawn is thatch.
    Do you have enough of a thatch layer there as to prevent REALLY GOOD seed-to-soil contact with your fescue seed?

Grass seed may germinate on top of thatch, but it won't likely root into it.
    (Clumps of seed germinate in my truck bed all the time- but never 'grows' anywhere!.. Looks like Chia Pets, too! :laugh:)

You may want to go around with a hand trowel or shovel and check a few random spots, especially in sunny areas.

I'd say if the bluegrass' thatch layer is more than say 1/2", you'd certainly want to consider dethatching before doing any slice-seeding / aeration work with the fescue.

Otherwise...if it's less than 1/2", you'd probably get away with a really thorough double-aeration of the yard; followed by slice-seeding with fescue (after the cores have dried).
    Make sure to 'scalp' the yard with your mower just before aerating.

9. Terraformer

Hey Marcos,

I totally agree with your remarks about thatch and aerating. In my case thatch isn't a problem. Yes... I will aerate prior to slit seeding. Correct me if I'm wrong, but I think you meant the turf should be "scalped" prior to slit seeding - not aerating. I typically scalp turf prior to slit seeding so the seedlings benefit from increased sunlight. FYI - in my case both of my aerators perform the same regardless of turf height (1 - 3 1/2 inches).

10. DiyDave

DiyDave LawnSite Bronze Member

Try your local land-grant university. Lots of them do trial plantings of various cultivars of the turfgrasses suitable to your area. Google turfgrass trials + your state, and you might find it.:cool2: