Have you seen these? Hand Aerator/Slicer

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by lamblawnscaping, Feb 19, 2002.

1. lamblawnscaping

lamblawnscaping LawnSite Member

About 4 years ago I worked for a lawn care company that specialized in seeding. We would use aeravators (AE-40s) where ever we could get the tractor, and what they called Hand Aerators where we couldn't. These hand aerators were the best machines for seeding (other than the aeravotor) that I have ever seen. I don't think they make them anymore but I will describe them and maybe one of you might know who made them or where one could be obtained.

They consisted of a 4HP honda motor ontop of a gearbox that drove a square shaft about 20 inches wide. The gearbox connected in the middle of the shaft and there were about 8 or 9 blades on each side. The blades were circular, about 10 inches tall, with sharp points about an inch and a half tall going all the way around. Behind the blade assembely were two tires about 8 inches tall that supported the weight of the machine. The handle consisted of two tubes that came up and bent off to either side with grips on them. There was only one control lever and it engaged the blades.

I guess in principle it is similar to a verticutter, but the way it was designed was so much better. All you had to do was pull up on the handle (pushing the front downward) a little and the blades would rip through whatever dirt or grass you wanted it to. If you had lumpy soil it could easily be ground smooth with this machine. On the other hand if you only wanted to slightly scratch the surface you could do that by lifting the front up a little.

These machines were very old and were orange (I don't know if that was the original color). Does anyone know what I am talking about, or who made them. I would pay a 1000 dollars or more for one of these, they really do work that well.
  2. jeffyr

jeffyr LawnSite Senior Member

I did see a company using 3 of them on one small place. Looked like saw blades cutting into the ground and they had to be cutting a couple inches deep. I was driving by and didn't get a great look, but they were orang/red color. Looked to be doing a kick-a$$ job without much effort.