HAVE YOU SEEN THIS AERATOR?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Mowman, Apr 21, 2001.

1. Mowman

Mowman LawnSite Senior Member

I was at an open house today at my Walker dealer and they had this new aerator. It's called the Rock Solid Plugr. It's an up and down motion. It's a very SIMPLE machine. Alot easier to operate than a Ryan aerator. You can check out a video at their web site @ www.rocksolidx.com I think I'm going to rent this one from now on. It's so much easier to maneuver than a larger heavier unit. Let me know what you think of this unit.
    Thanks,
    Mowman

2. mowerconsultant

mowerconsultant LawnSite Fanatic
    Male, from Syracuse, NY

This unit is not new.
    It has been around for at least 12 years that I know of.
    I used to sell these units at a dealership about 12 years ago.
    Although the name was LIL' PLUGR
    I know this company has been bought and sold a couple of times also.
    Customers found these units to work very well, and easy to work on.
    And of course for commercial use I would always get the Honda engine option.

3. Cleve

Cleve LawnSite Senior Member
    Male, from Rockmart, GA

I have a Jocobsen T6030 commercial unit that also has the straight up and down action. My machine is very heavy and will do much better than the usual rotating type pluggers. It actually moves forward and concentrates just about all its weight on the tines to operate. And it can be hard on the operator in hard soil conditions. I have actually considered trading for one of the Ryans just because of that.
    With that said, and after visiting their web site, I just don't see how their machine can penetrate the ground as well as it should. You have just got to have some weight behind those shafts to get into the ground. Maybe after a really long irrigatioin it might.
    Cleve.

4. jnjnlc

jnjnlc LawnSite Member

I rented one of these last year. At first I hated it but the more I used it the more I liked it. I would definitely rent one again or possibly buy one. It works kind of like a crankshaft driving the pistons.

The crankshaft drives the pluggers into the ground. This also propels it. One note is that in very hard ground it can get away from you. It was much lighter than the Ryan I rented earlier last year. It was also much easier to maneuver. The down side is that it is not self-propelled when the pluggers are not engaged. So if you have a hill to go up before you get onto the yard it can be tough.

I guess it is all in what you like. If you are thinking of buying one I would suggest renting first or at least demoing one before you do. You never know you may not like it.

5. 65hoss

65hoss LawnSite Fanatic

I OWN ONE!!!

I bought it last year at the Louisville Expo. I love it. I got it with the Honda motor. I can aerate all day and not be tired. You can turn this thing around trees, flowerbeds, anything without any hassle. It works off a cam design. The cam is like the one in a car. It does a good job even in dry conditions. It is a little slower than some others. But, personnally I would rather be a little slower and not be dead at the end of the day. I demoed all the others at the show and decided I liked this one.

I would buy another if I ever need it.

6. lbmd1

lbmd1 LawnSite Senior Member

65HOSS,
    What did you pay for the machine?

Mike

7. GroundKprs

GroundKprs LawnSite Bronze Member

Saw the Lil Plugr when it first came out at Louisville years ago. Bounced all over on that Kentucky clay, did make a few dents here and there, LOL. Maybe they have added some weight since then?

8. 65hoss

65hoss LawnSite Fanatic

I'm not sure what your talking about. I tried it there also and had no problems what so ever. I used it last year and this spring and it does very well. BUT, when its real dry it does bounce some. Under normal aerating conditions it does great. Not much aerating going on in the middle of summer.

Regular price is around $3000. Show price with Honda was $2250 I think.

The factory support is good also. They just call ever so often to ask if everything is going well with the machine. Quality and customer relationship is high on their list.