Have you seen Toro's American Hero discount?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by G. Ramey, Feb 14, 2014.

1. G. Ramey

G. Ramey LawnSite Senior Member

I was searching mower web sites last night and came across the Toro site and noticed they are offering an 18% discount on mowers and other equipment for military, police and firefighters past and present. I had pretty much made my mind up to buy a Gravely 460 and some other piece of equipment to take advantage of their 20% fleet program, but now I'm rethinking because of this Toro discount. 20% discount, but required to buy 2 pieces with Gravely or 18% and only required to buy 1 piece with Toro. My closest dealer sells both brands.

2. weaver

weaver LawnSite Bronze Member

What model of Toro are you thinking of getting?

3. G. Ramey

I would buy the Toro Z Master 6000 series 60 inch cut if I go with a Toro.

4. weaver

weaver LawnSite Bronze Member

Ya that's cool.. I really like those G3 model Toro's...

Last edited: Feb 14, 2014
  5. KrayzKajun

KrayzKajun LawnSite Fanatic

That's pretty cool. I was looking at new scag if get one of the HOA contracts this spring. My dealer sells Toro also. May have to check them out.
    Posted via Mobile Device

6. arkansas502

arkansas502 LawnSite Member

I just bought a toro. They didn't give me that discount
    Posted via Mobile Device

7. G. Ramey

I went to two dealers today to get some prices. The Toro was $12,888. Minus 18% that is a little more than I want to spend. I did get good news from the Gravely dealers though. Both Gravely dealers will be having a Gravely representative on site for one day in march and on that day I can buy a single piece of equipment with a 20% discount. It looks like I will get a Gravely 460 for $10100 plus tax. That's almost $500 less than the Toro and the 460 has more hp and an air ride seat.

8. TPendagast

TPendagast LawnSite Fanatic
    Male

take that information to your toro dealer and I bet he'll match the offer.

on the original point. Yes, I did notice the Toro Discount.

I personally qualify for this deal being ex military,
    BUT
    I think it's discriminatory.
    thats a HUGE discount and an unfair advantage to people like police and fire than typically compete with the full time guys.
    Police and fire already have an unfair advantage as they have a huge paycheck from a full time job that lets them have plenty of off time to compete with the full time mow guys.

If a company wants to have a "service appreciation" sale, they should offer an across the board discount for anyone buying a mower on veterans day …or have a week long "Toro National Service Appreciation Sale" where they are declaring their thanks and promotion to those who served…and everyone can get the discount if they buy/order and make a down payment for their machine that week,

Whatever….but I think they alienate their mainstream customers… most guys aren't ex cops or ex marines…they are just Joe the lawn mower guy trying to make a living….

I know if I didn't qualify for this deal, I'd go buy another product entirely, just because I felt discriminated against.

This isn't a 2-5% discount…18% is a BIG deal

on a 12k machine, lets say a medium size company that needs to buy two of them… we're talking over 4 grand! Ouch!

Otherwise, if you were buying 3 or more….you could probably get similar fleet pricing anyway.

9. Keith

Keith LawnSite Gold Member

I agree with you, 100%. The one that really gets me is the Equine Savings discount. It's a little different but we're talking a huge discount there too. Exmark and Toro dealers around here won't sell for less than MSRP. But one of my wealthy customers, that has two horses is able to buy an Lazer for thousands less than I can. Kind of reminds me of a former landscaper here years ago that opened a garden center and said he was going to charge landscapers 20% more for mulch than homeowners.

10. mowerbrad

mowerbrad LawnSite Fanatic

I think you are a little flawed in the way you perceive firefighters and police officers. I am a Firefighter/paramedic and do that on a part time/paid-on-call basis. I can honestly tell you that the "HUGE" pay check that we take home is not all that huge. Yes, the full time staff at my fire department have a schedule that gives them quite a few days off, but they also work 24 hour shifts. Generally speaking, they work about 3 shifts a week. As a paid-on-call firefighter, I pick up open shifts and respond to calls from home or while I'm out mowing. I can be stuck at a house fire for 5 hours overnight and have to go to work or school the very next morning. It can be midnight and I have to get up to go help someone whose dad stopped breathing. Or it could be 3pm and I have to stop mowing in order to go to a car accident that severely injured 3 people. I have put a lot of dedication and hardwork into helping my community and I do appreciate when others recognize that but I am not asking for handouts by any means.

I'm not trying to take away from those who serve in the military at all, I have the greatest of respect for those who serve our country currently and formerly.

But our law enforcement officers, firefighters and EMS personnel do a great service to their communities and are not paid nearly what they are worth. In fact, many folks are volunteers and are not compensated for their work.