1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community on the Franchising Forum.

Dismiss Notice

Have you stuck to only one brand for your equipment?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by hummingbird3d, Mar 15, 2009.

1. hummingbird3d

hummingbird3d LawnSite Member

I 1st went into this business thinking that I'll stay with one brand of equipment. As I do my homework and talk to dealers on what to get for a lawn mower, trimmer, blower and edger I discover that they will point out one company is best for this task and another for another task. My list is looking like I'm going with different brands all around now.

2. kaferhaus

kaferhaus LawnSite Bronze Member

We try to. It's more efficient from a parts standpoint. However we don't buy everything from one dealer.

We have plenty of dealers around here and I learned long ago that sticking with just one has some advantages, but also can put a strain on your relationship.

My favorite dealer got to where he thought he "had me in the bag" because we'd bought so much equipment from him..... basically he took me for granted. It was just a few small incidents but I felt like with the money I spend every year he wasn't going the extra mile to keep my business so I started buying about half of our stuff from the guy across town (same product lines).

Took several months but he eventually realized I wasn't spending near the moeny I had in years past and asked me if business was down.... I smiled and said "no, it's the best year we'ver ever had". A few weeks later I stopped by to pick something up and he noticed a new(ish) ZTR in the trailer... "where'd you get that?" Told him I bought it across town a few months back...

Anyway, we had a talk and I told him why I'd start splitting my business.... PRICE. The discounts he'd been giving me had slowly been decreasing, he'd become harder and harder to deal with on equipment and accessories purchases. The guy across town WANTED my business a bit more than he did.

He was not happy but admitted that perhaps he'd gotten complacent.

This all started over a grass catcher.... I spend 20-25 grand a year with this guy and he wouldn't come off the price of small grass catcher that I knew he had marked up over $100.00.

And I told him the other dealer didn't even sell that particular catcher, I'd ordered it online and had it shipped for less than it would have cost to buy it from him... still took half my business away.

It cost him over 12 grand in sales. He's "come around" but it will take time before I start returning more business to him.

3. Proc's Lawncare

Proc's Lawncare LawnSite Member

Think it comes down to choice personally... I've worked on a ton of different equipment in my life and prefer different pieces of equipment from one brand to the next. In all my years I have never had someone ask me why my mowers were red and my back pack blowers orange... (it needs to be clean and tidy though) So I would try different types of equipment and see what you like best and what dealers are in your area who want your business.

4. Green Machine Mowing

Green Machine Mowing LawnSite Member

if you have a whole fleet its nice to be able to have abunch of the same trimmer, ect. then you can go buy 5 sparkplugs, ect... and when one dies it turns into parts. i dont have any loyataly to a cernan brand, i just go with whatever product looks good and is priced right. not to say i dont have brand prefrences.....:dizzy:

5. topsites

topsites LawnSite Fanatic

Yeah but it goes beyond brand loyalty, and in a slightly different direction.
    Ease of use is one, every brand has its little quirks.

Yes...
    I find it's also more efficient in the maintenance department overall,
    such as the labor in terms of the actual repairs as well.

So more than brand loyalty I would say it's the similarity between them that does it for me,
    last but not least when one totally craps out it's still always good for parts.

Yup, I know all about this, too.
    But I had to learn that lesson myself, sometimes greed gets the best of us, hard times can do it too, and we lean
    too heavily on one or more of our best customers, most of us, I think we don't really mean it in a bad way.

It's a hard lesson to learn, it's all good thou, it needs to be that way.

Last edited: Mar 15, 2009
  6. Littleriver1

Littleriver1 LawnSite Senior Member

I have been running scags/Kow but this year I bought another company out and all his stuff was exmark/Kohler. So, I guess, now I will have both. Unless some one wants to buy a exmark 66" Z with a 30HP kohler for $8600 with around 200 hrs.

7. STIHL GUY

STIHL GUY LawnSite Fanatic
    from CT

i have a good amount of STIHL products but they are from diffrent dealers

8. jeffex

jeffex LawnSite Bronze Member

mowers -yes Toro/exmark...backback blowers -yes stihl ..trimmers NO shindiawa, kawasaki, husqvarna, echo...

9. TheLawnRangerLLC

TheLawnRangerLLC LawnSite Member

I tend to stick to Stihl equipment, I like the feel of the tools, and they always start and run hard for me...so that is one reason that I stick to one brand, however my girlfriends step dad also is a stihl dealer/repair guy, so family discounts never hurt...I am not apposed to other equipment, but like I said, I have always had great fortune with stihl, and it doesn't cost me an arm and a leg. just my $.02.

10. billslawn89

billslawn89 LawnSite Bronze Member

same here, stihl equipment. like others said about getting parts, its alot easier to get the parts for one brand and stock on hand, plus sometimes if you buy quanity on parts, you get a better price. i just added the ht100 to my fleet of stihl equipment. just like the products.