have you tryed this w/ blades

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by humble1, Jan 8, 2008.

1. humble1

humble1 LawnSite Silver Member
    from MA

alright right off, i get some bearing abuse and clutch wear, we tryed this on one of our heavy fert irrigated lawns 10" of growth a week. I ran 2 bobcat ztr side by side w/ out bags different blade config. One - ran reg high lift discharge heavy clumps. 2nd - ran highlift with gators so each spindle had two blades looked like a plus sign- busted up the grass so fine you didnt need to cross cut. I can mow wet grass w/ almost no clumps, now thats how i run all the time.

2. SchultzLawnCare

SchultzLawnCare LawnSite Senior Member

whered you buy those?

3. P.Services

P.Services LawnSite Fanatic

how do you do that? i tried and cant keep them perfectly square to each other so the mower vibrates bad. do you have a bracket that holds them square?

4. humble1

from MA

no bracket, i run bobcat ztr just put them on i forget now if the h lift are top or bottom. Gator blades are everywhere, they have thos enotches in the flail part.

5. Runner

Runner LawnSite Fanatic

Is this post for real? Are you saying that you are running double blades? And happen to be running Gators as one of your blades?

Ok...sorry...I see you just joined in November. If you do a search using the words double blades, you will end up with (and I am not exaggerating) a full day's worth of reading on this. It has been done for years. As a matter of fact, it has come down to such a detail, that many of us run many different combinations of blades for all sorts of different conditions. Also, just a small consideration, different blades have different effects on some decks, so for some, certain combos work differently for others. Example; The combo you just mentioned is what we use for leaves (or double gators), however, for thick wet grass, the Gators leave tiny dried clumps or "wadding".

6. humble1

from MA

Where is the search option i dont see it, and wasnt aware of it. Thank, would love to hear what other blade config are used by others.

7. Runner

Runner LawnSite Fanatic

LOL...That is one of the largest attibutes of this site. Up toward the top of the page, under the advertisements, there is a dark green bar (horizontal). In it, you will see the word "search". Click on that. It opens up a window that has ifferent options. If you use the "advanced search", it allows you to not only search for a word, but also phrases - or more important, any combination of words. You can also filter THOSE out, as well by using word AND, or OR in your search. For instance, if you type in the words "Double AND Blades", it will bring you every thread and/or post (depending on what you choose within another window on this page) that ha those words.
    Also, you will see a box to the right which also allows you to search within particular forums (i.e. Commercial Lawn, Elements of Business, etc.).

8. LawnTamer

LawnTamer LawnSite Gold Member

This has been talked about a lot, but as Runner pointed out, different combos work differently on different decks, so I'm always glad to hear a report. We run Toro mowers with the SFS deck. My favorite all around combo is either Gator blades on standard OEM blades, or Gator blades on high-lift blades. It is a lot noisier than a single blade, but it disperses well, creates butt-loads of lift and will pack a bag like a brick. My bro-in-law runs the same combo on the Turboforce deck with great success.
    Detractors of double blading will cite spindle wear as a side effect, I think this is BS, so long as your blades are balanced. I've been running doubles for years and haven't had a spindle go less than 3,000 hrs. It does however wear belts a little more than single blades will.

9. Runner

Runner LawnSite Fanatic

As far as spindle wear, I fully agree. I see no excessive wear. One main concern that I have with people doing this, is making sure they end up with enough bolt thread up inside the spindle to securely hold them Many spindles are configured differently. On mine, I use a 1/2" longer bolt when running doubles, which actually give me 1/4" deeper thread depth than the stock bolts with single blades. Some of the later spindles on the Lazers had long enough bolts into the spindles that it doesn't matter anyway.I have seen many spindles that don't have much bolt to spindle contact though.