1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

have you used it or is it just your opinion?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by lawnwizards, Dec 10, 2003.

1. lawnwizards

lawnwizards LawnSite Silver Member

i see lots of people on here talking about certain walk behinds being junk. my question is, have you all used every machine out on the market or is it just your opinion. i'm trying to find a used walk behind and i want to find one that will last. not trying to step on any toes, just wanna find out why you all say to stay away from certain brands.

2. promower

promower LawnSite Bronze Member

I can say I've only had expierence with Great Dane and Scag. I like them both and own only Great Dane mowers. I had no trouble this season except for a few broken belts and flat tiress. When I looked at getting used the price wasnt much lower then used and the warranty was used up. Buy new if you can, put down the money you were going to spend on used and finance the rest you payments would be really small. When I financed mine the first 9 months were no payments, when the 9 months were up I paid it off and avoided a lot of the interest. Good luck
  3. NCSULandscaper

NCSULandscaper Banned

Some of it is just opinions and what people have seen from a picture. However for the most part you can trust people's posts about equipment. I dont own a walk behind, but wha ti have seen in person and read, Exmark, Toro, Hustler have good walkbehinds. Do a search for walkbehind and you can read about then for years.
  4. lawnwizards

lawnwizards LawnSite Silver Member

did i just ask the 1 question you aren't supposed to ask on here?:eek:
    i figured you guys would eat up this thread.
  5. bayfish

bayfish LawnSite Senior Member

I own 2 Toro w/b and have had good results with both, however, though I like the T bar controls, I don't care much for the SFS deck they have. I will continue to use them because they are adequate at this point. If I were in the market for one, I would lok very hard at the Hustler w/b. I bought a Hustler Z this year and have been very impressed and the w/b looks like a quality built machine as well, and the controls look to be better than the t bar ergonomically. Give them a look if there is a dealer near you.
  6. rodfather

rodfather LawnSite Fanatic

I've had like 12 or so Ferris WB's during the past 9 years. You want to know about Ferris, I'm the guy. They are extremely reliable machines.

Any other brand, I know didly bout...hell, I never even heard of Bunton until just the other day on LS.
  7. I only use scag and one time we had a encore .I dont comment on brands i have never used..Imho it would not be right to give reveiws on a machine you never owned.
    So if you want to ask a question about scag walkbehind's im your man or jimbo and a couple others.

LAWNESCAPES LawnSite Member

9. Richard Martin

Richard Martin LawnSite Fanatic

I only give opinions on machines I have owned.

Some members here sometimes mistake or think some of my questions or observations are too hard on manufacturers. If that is the case then too bad. Most of this equipment costs a lot of money and if I can help one other member avoid buying something that doesn't work then I have helped out. I have no intension of pulling any punches about equipment just because they are a sponsor.
  10. I have used or demo almost every brand out there in the past 15 or so years.Now brands do change the way there are made.And all companys go thru cycle's.Now if you are going to buy a used wb. Brand wont matter.It was how the machine was cared for and operated. A butnon which might be well cared for and say a exmark which wasnt taken care of.Then the bunton be choice.Used market lawn equipment is a very big hit and miss.And as far as new they have all closed the gap quite a bit in the past few years.I have 6 mowers on my trailers and they are all different.And if i purchased another one in all honesty it might be a different brand that I have now.But I never will give my judgement on a brand without knowledge of it.