Haven'teven bought gear yet, but got BIG account lined up!!

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Bob_McNaughton, Jul 27, 2001.

1. Bob_McNaughton

Bob_McNaughton LawnSite Member

As most of you know, i'm going online with my LC business next spring. I've just purchased a 2001 Dodge 2500HD truck, but not much else so far.(Enclosed, ZTR, WB and stuff will come over winter as the season nears)

Anyway, I am still slaving for "The Man" day after day, dreaming of when I officially open the business.

Today I was chatting with a customer about trucks, and showed him my truck, and he was like "Wow, wtf you gonna be doing with it?"... I told em about the LC and Plowing business I am starting next season.

Anyway, we talked more, and he said I sounded professional, ambitious and knowledgable, and mentioned he is very unhappy with the guy handling his properties. He has 2 office buildings, and a fairly large Condo project that need to be mowed/plowed.

In close, he said he would like me to handle everything next season, and he is going to pull the other guys contract and see how much hes being paid so I can have a ballpark of where to price (naturally, i'm going to be a bit higher). I explained to this guy that I am a well educated business man, and have no interest in doing a poor, low quality job just to make a buck so I can hit the bars at 3pm after mowing a few lawns for the day. He was impressed, to say the least.

Nothing is set in stone, but it looks real promising. From what I gather talking to him, this one contact may match or beat what I make a year working for "The Man".

So in the end, it really pays to talk to people - and always be selling yourself. Act professional and knowledgable, show ambition, and be political! Sell yourself, sell your company, and sell your quality service - don't sell yourself short!. Show interest in your customers, ask them about their fancy car, tell them their house looks wonderful! People like to hear about what THEY own and work hard for! There are ALOT of people out there cutting grass that are making this business hard on the professionals, don't become one of them!

WOOT - I can't wait!

2. roscioli

roscioli LawnSite Senior Member

Congrats my lawnsite friend, congrats.

3. AltaLawnCare

AltaLawnCare LawnSite Senior Member

That Dodge truck must've brought you luck. Is it white, the white ones are the luckiest.:p
    Thats the number one way to get business, I'm bidding on a large commercial property now because of a chance encounter with the manager of the plant and a conversation just like you've described. I'll know in 2 months if I got it.

4. Finecut

Finecut LawnSite Member
    from IL

Bob,

Don't mean to throw cold water on your deal...you need to learn to read BS. What this guy may have told you in essence is...he'd just be tickled to find someone to do the job for 25% less.

You'll learn over the years that all businessmen are eager for a deal, they know a new guy will often sell themselves short and underbid just to get their foot in the door. That doesn't mean to say that they will give just anybody a shot at it, but if you sound creditable it may behoove them to give you a try. They sometimes give a figure that they would like to get the job done for, rather than what they indeed are paying. The current contractor may not really be able to do the job for what he's charging. If you can sit down with this guy and look at the terms of the contract it would certainly be in your best interest. I don't mean to talk down to you...I just want to prepare you for what maybe a let down. Best luck to you and I hope you're able to get it...on your terms!

5. BRL

BRL LawnSite Bronze Member

I wish you the best of luck. As much as it stinks, I do have to say that Finecut is right. If you get into this biz you will run into people like that. Experience will allow you to see them coming & avoid their hassle. Hopefully this guy is not one of them.

6. CSRA Landscaping

CSRA Landscaping LawnSite Bronze Member

It does sound a bit too good to be true. Try to do as much homework on this one as you possibly can. Remember, if something sounds too good to be true, it usually is, esp. in this field. You want a cutthroat field? You got it.

7. Charles

Charles Moderator Staff Member

Yea sounds fishy to me too LOL. Why would he risk dumping his current lawn care company for someone with no experience at all?
    YOu may egt into this field as many do and decide its not for you leaving him high and dry. Its one thing for a homeowner to switch around and another for a business. For a business appearance is everything. Unless its a losers business and they wont pay you

8. Grapevine

Grapevine LawnSite Member

Bob , I've been in this business for 14 years full time and we take care of 6 large condos and they are a ***** to deal with. It takes a little more than asking the customer about his car and house to be a professional, it takes experience and doing quality work. No offense if I don't take advice on how to be a professional from someone who hasn't spent five minutes in this business, and has no idea what he's talking about.

9. RMDoyon

RMDoyon LawnSite Member

Congratulations Bob, your positive attitude is refreshing.

Passion and enthusiasm for any venture will carry the day and result in more sales and more referrals.

People want to associate with those who show a passion for their work.
    Your comments about salesmanship are fundamental and I bet there are a lot of guys on here that can use that advice.

Roger

10. cos

cos LawnSite Addict

I remember those days. Those are the type of customers that complain alot and try to pay little.