Having back-up mower as a sales pitch, good idea or no.

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by monoshock, Jun 28, 2013.

?

Does it help to tell new customers you have back-up mowers?

Poll closed Jul 4, 2013.
  1. Yes, it helps.

4 vote(s)
    12.5%
  2. No, it doesn't matter, gust mow the dang grass.

28 vote(s)
    87.5%
  1. monoshock

monoshock LawnSite Bronze Member

I always tell new customers that I have back-up mowers in case of break downs.
    Do you think this matters, or no?

2. KrayzKajun

KrayzKajun LawnSite Fanatic

No. I doubt they care if you have a backup mower. Your breakdowns are not their worry.
    Posted via Mobile Device

3. goel

goel LawnSite Member

You are expected to take care of business so a back up plan (mower/trimmer/equipment) is required.

Your plan could be access equipment from a different source.
    Posted via Mobile Device

A requirement is not a selling feature.

4. personally, i would't care if you had a hundred mowers, i just want my grass mowed.

5. Caddyshack Lawn Care

Caddyshack Lawn Care LawnSite Senior Member

I don't even mention my equipment. I just tell prospects about the convenience and the quality they can expect. I don't want them thinking about equipment breaking down, etc. I want them focusing on how nice their lawn looks.

6. fastlane

fastlane LawnSite Senior Member

They might think you charge more to pay for the extra equipment you have.

7. StanWilhite

StanWilhite LawnSite Silver Member

My thinking on this is that when you tell them you have a backup mower you're almost saying that "I'll cut your grass on time no matter what".

That could come back to bite you in the butt if (I should say "when") an occasion comes around that causes you to be late with their cut (and sooner or later that will almost certainly happen).

I can then hear them saying, "part of the reason we let you do our work is because you promised you'd never be late with our grass cutting"!

Even though you may never come right out and say that, it can be taken as an implication (at least in their mind) that you'll always be on schedule.....no matter what . Guarantees and things of that sort seem to be stretched and distorted when push comes to shove and people are unhappy.

Just my 2 pennies. :waving:

8. monoshock

monoshock LawnSite Bronze Member

All good points. The reason I started telling new customers about the back-up mowers,is because I've had a few in the past say there old lawn man just up and quit because he couldn't afford to get his mower repaired in time to keep on schedule, and they had to scramble to get a new guy there before the grass got to high.

9. Tunica

Tunica LawnSite Member

In cases like that I'd be prone to say I understand that could happen? So many people throw mowers in a truck and become the New Lawn company only to face the unexpected one day and then its over. My company is not a come of late company We know things can happen and do happen. We make every effort to ensure our equipment is in top shape and running order. When the unexpected happens and it will We have backup plans.

10. larryinalabama

larryinalabama LawnSite Fanatic

Never had anyone ask if I have a back up mower.