Having back-up mower as a sales pitch, good idea or no.

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by monoshock, Jun 28, 2013.

?

Does it help to tell new customers you have back-up mowers?

Poll closed Jul 4, 2013.
  1. Yes, it helps.

4 vote(s)
    12.5%
  2. No, it doesn't matter, gust mow the dang grass.

28 vote(s)
    87.5%
  1. monoshock

monoshock LawnSite Bronze Member

That's a lot of back-up :laugh:

2. gcbailey

gcbailey LawnSite Silver Member
    from WV

backup mower, backup trimmer, backup truck, backup trailer, backup for the backup... 95% of the time people just want it done, if they are picky enough they don't care if you use a pair of scissors....

3. herler

herler LawnSite Fanatic

I have two of most every piece of equipment but not because it makes a good sales pitch and while I don't think that it would hurt to mention it I don't volunteer it either, when I go give the estimate I'm not trying to make extra conversation... Just go look at the work, be polite, give them the price, let them decide, that's it.

4. monoshock

Do you think it make me look bad to potential new customers?
    Maybe I should stop bring it up.

5. vegandude

vegandude LawnSite Senior Member

I wouldn't mention it unless asked. How can having enough equipment to ensure that the job gets done make you look bad?:drinkup:

6. gcbailey

gcbailey LawnSite Silver Member
    from WV

I don't think it looks bad, in all honesty it is good to have a backup, but it's like bragging about your high school GPA... only .05% care.

7. 32vld

32vld LawnSite Gold Member

I have two.

First one is on the dealers showroom floor.

The second back up is on his lot. :drinkup:

If my Jeep went down I have my wife's Suburban or my son's Colorado to use. Good to have back ups for every thing. Best way to get back ups is to buy replacements before the truck trailer mower handheld dies.

Before you know it one would have everything needed for a second crew.

8. dathorpe

dathorpe LawnSite Senior Member

Same here. On several occasions, I've had prospective clients comment that they want to know that their lawn will be cut every week, regardless. Just this spring we added a new client who specifically said that he really liked the guy he used last year but that the guy was a solo operation and was unreliable. He made the comment that the guy was using old equipment and that he would call and say his truck broke down or his mower broke down or he was going to have to borrow some equipment from a friend, etc. The client said he grew tired of hearing it and decided that this year he'd go with a professional LCO.

9. dathorpe

dathorpe LawnSite Senior Member

And don't forget to sell yourself and your company. Ask questions about their yard - maybe unimportant things but it gets them talking. Make small talk if given the opportunity. Try to connect and leave an impression. Maybe point out some things you notice in their yard to compliment them AND show your landscape knowledge - "Wow, look at those hydrangeas" or "I love spirea. The only downside to them is you have to keep an eye out for aphids". By doing this, hopefully, they'll ask what other services you provide and then... they open the door and you can mention everything your company can do for them.

10. monoshock

Good advice, on my vacation homes, I always tell new customers that I will check there property (door,windows, etc) when I'm there to mow. I think that a selling point also. About a third of my customers I've never met.