Having back-up mower as a sales pitch, good idea or no.

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by monoshock, Jun 28, 2013.

?

Does it help to tell new customers you have back-up mowers?

Poll closed Jul 4, 2013.
  1. Yes, it helps.

4 vote(s)
    12.5%
  2. No, it doesn't matter, gust mow the dang grass.

28 vote(s)
    87.5%
  1. monoshock

monoshock LawnSite Bronze Member

Yes, well it's a big ol 1 ton van.

2. dhardin53

dhardin53 LawnSite Senior Member

Back-up equipment yes I have them, yes I am not afraid or ashamed to offer this information out. It is NOT a bad reflection on myself or the type and quality of my equipment. Its my business decision, also my peace of mind. On several of my commercial accounts I was chosen over the other bidders because I showed I was prepared for break downs, with a verity of optional equipment to get the job done.

Todays commercial machines all have accessories and attachment like a swish army knife. And I guess that ok but if the least thing goes wrong with the motor your sit waiting for the part. (Just look at all the post here about the problems with there dealer) My extra equipment that I call back up will all fill in with bagging, front mount decks, or what ever it takes.

3. vegandude

vegandude LawnSite Senior Member

I have had three mowers go down in one day before because of stupid, unanticipated maintenance items(throttle cable/drive belt/busted handlebar). When a customer sees you throw a broken mower on your trailer and immediately pull a good one off and finish up, they know they hired the right person!

4. monoshock

monoshock LawnSite Bronze Member

Well, I bid on a new lawn yesterday, and I held back talking about the extra mowers I have. I did tell him I have commercial mower and not a Wallyworld mower. He must have liked what I told him and the price, he hired me on the spot. He also told me that another person has just made a estimate earlier in the day. Man, my CL ad is kickin this year, that's 4 new jobs this year from a free ad.:)

5. siclmn

siclmn LawnSite Senior Member

When they see me pull up in my 1ton dually with a dump on the back and the trailer packed with equipment and then stare at me in my filthy overalls and a jungle jim wide brimmed hat they know that I am the real deal and would never even think if I needed a back up anything.